Tongue sores can cause a lot of discomfort, and disrupt routine activities like eating and talking. These may be seen on any part of the dorsal surface of the tongue. There are many causes, like trauma, allergies, tongue diseases, etc. At times, genetics may also have a huge role to play, especially in cases where a person suffers from repeated sores, without any signs of trauma. Even nutritional deficiencies can lead to such a problem. A good remedy is that which can help to mitigate the symptoms brought on by any of the above given causes. Given below are a few home remedies for sore tongue, that will help you attain substantial relief.
How to Get Rid of Tongue Sores?
- Mix half a teaspoon of turmeric in a cup of warm milk. Drink this twice a day to attain relief.
- Suck on an ice cube. This causes vasoconstriction, that is, constriction of blood vessels. This will prevent accumulation of blood in the region, thus reducing inflammation and its resultant throbbing pain.
- As a part of the treatment regime, you can also make use of herbal teas. There are many herbal teas, especially chamomile tea, that can help soothe a tongue sore.
- Make sure to keep your diet free of spicy food. Having spicy food will only lead to more irritation and burning sensation in the mouth. Instead, concentrate more on eating boiled vegetables and relatively bland food. You can also increase your intake of yogurt. It helps to soothe and mitigate the burning sensation on the tongue.
- Placing a wet tea bag on the affected region is a great option. It helps to have a cooling effect on the affected region, and if there is a slight swelling, makes it recede.
- Mix honey in milk, and drink twice a day. Honey is well-known for its healing properties.
- Fry some alum so as to dehydrate it. Grind it into powder form, and mix it with honey. Apply this paste on the affected area twice a day.
- Vitamin C is well-known for its healing properties. It helps to hasten wound healing. So, try to have as much vitamin C as is possible. You can get it from foods like melon, oranges, strawberries, guava, etc. Also have foods that are rich in folate, like beans and other lentils. It is good to take as much iron and vitamin B as is possible, as these will help to strengthen the immune system, which will further help to fight off the sores.
- If the tongue sore is very painful, or is giving a burning sensation, apply petroleum jelly to the affected region. You can also apply glycerin, as this also has a cooling effect. Also, try not to brush very vigorously, as this may lead to abrasion of the surface of the sore, which will only lead to more pain and delay in healing.
Given above was a comprehensive list of simple home remedies. However, if your lesions do not recede despite trying out these, it is best to visit a dentist. Get your condition diagnosed and treated, as there may be a grave underlying disease.
Disclaimer: This HolisticZine article is solely for informative purpose and not intended to replace the advice of medical experts.