Bronchitis, caused by particular viruses or bacteria, is a respiratory disease, and is considered as a serious health disorder. Viral bronchitis is more prevalent than bacterial bronchitis. In case of viral attack, infection in lungs leads to inflammation of the lining of the bronchial tubes (the airways). This results in excess mucus production. It is a common health problem and usually, it is cured with the help of simple home remedies. If the symptoms are not reduced, it is necessary to consult a doctor. Chronic bronchitis can last for a few months.
Description of symptoms and physical examination help diagnose the condition. No test is required.
- Common Cold
- Excessive secretion of mucus
- Coughing, as the body tries to expel the excess mucus from the lungs
- Fatigue and malaise
- Soreness in chest that can lead to constriction or a burning sensation
- Headache and body ache
- Slight fever
- Sore throat
- Cough that brings up greenish or yellowish-gray colored sputum
- Chest congestion and tightness
- Shortness of breath or dyspnea
Antibiotics cannot cure bronchitis caused by a virus. Instead, you should opt for certain supportive measures that can help relieve the symptoms.
- Drinking warm water and lots of warm fluids (soup, broth) can relieve the throat and chest pain. Tea and coffee work great for bronchitis. They help flush out the mucus fast.
- Children have a habit of swallowing sputum. Spitting out the mucus accelerates the process of recovery.
- Take some mustard, mix it in warm water, and rub it on the child's chest. Soon, the child will get relief.
- Heat the mixture of ground ginger (1 teaspoon), cloves (2-3), and pepper (2). Add 1 teaspoon of honey. Consume this mixture 3-4 times daily. It is one of the best natural home remedies for acute bronchitis.
- Soak some fenugreek seeds in water for an hour, boil the water with some ginger, and then strain it. Consume this water after adding a little bit of honey, 4-5 times every day.
- As the condition can lead to weakness and fatigue, healthy food should be included in your diet. Almonds can provide more strength. Ground almonds mixed in orange juice can offer long term benefits.
- Sufficient rest should be taken.
- A herbal tea, with ginger, clove, cinnamon, lemon grass, or bay leaves can be very effective in treating this condition. The tea that is loaded with antioxidants can strengthen your immune system and can help regain energy too.
- A teaspoon of raw onion juice, taken early in the morning can help relieve the morning cough and congestion.
- You can make use of various herbs like yarrow and marshmallow.
- You can rub garlic oil to the throat. It can offer you relief from the itchy sensation and pain.
- Add a pinch of turmeric to warm milk and drink it. This would help prevent the condition from worsening.
- Avoid smoking as it can worsen the situation.
- Clear chicken soup with ginger and garlic in it, fresh chicken stock with a lot of pepper and ginger in it, or bone broth can help fight the condition.
- Frequent gargling with warm and salty water is one of the easiest natural remedies for bronchitis.
- Consumption of honey can soothe the irritated throat.
- Add 2-3 drops of eucalyptus oil to boiling water, cover your head with a towel, and inhale the steam.
- You may apply eucalyptus oil on your chest.
Turmeric, ginger, garlic, etc. exhibit antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral properties. They promote fast recovery. The tips mentioned above are helpful to treat viral bronchitis at home, but you should consult your physician if the symptoms do not subside within a few days. Taking into consideration the overall health and the other prevailing health problems, the physician may prescribe a cough suppressant or an inhaled bronchodilator.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only, and should not be substituted for the advice of a medical professional.