Yohimbe is a tree found in the region of West Africa. It has been used by the local people for several years for the medical purposes. They used it for fever, cough, depression, hypertension, and many sexual problems. Its bark is used to extract tryptamine alkaloid yohimbine, which is purified, and then supplied as herbal medication.
It has been specially used in many body building and sexual performance enhancing products. No doubt the alkaloid benefits the body, but there are many yohimbe side effects, which can be dangerous to health. They are not only harmful for the body, but in severe conditions, they may also result in death. Hence, it is very necessary to know about them to avoid such conditions.
The natives of Africa used the extracts of this plant for different purposes. Following are some of its uses, which will help you to understand its importance.
- The natives of Africa used the bark to treat cough, fever, and leprosy.
- It is used to cure depression and hypertension.
- It dilates the blood vessels and corrects the blood flow. It also helps in preventing clogged arteries. This also lowers the risk of heart attack and other blood related problems.
- The most important use of this herb is that it can cure many male sexual problems. It increases the sexual desire, helps in erection, and helps in proper ejaculation. Altogether, we can say that it reduces the impotency to a great extent.
- Natives have also used this medication to cure dilated pupils.
- In the early days, it has also been used as anesthesia.
Although it is used all over the world, it has shown many side effects in almost all the cases. Most of them are caused due to the overdose or prolonged usage of this medication.
- Excess sweating, frequent urination, rise in body temperature, and headache are some of the most common and general side effects.
- Nausea, vomiting, and other gastrointestinal problems may also arise as a side effect of this medication.
- Some cardiovascular problems, like increased heart rate and high blood pressure may appear. It may sometimes also result in drastic low blood pressure, as the bark causes direct effect on the blood vessels.
- Anxiety and irritability may also be noticed as a side effect.
- It may also affect the nervous system in some cases. Tremors, dizziness, and excitation are some of them.
- High dosage may cause renal failure, paralysis, and fatigue.
- If it is taken for a long period of time, then it may cause some toxic effects on the body.
- People who have problems related to kidney, liver, and blood pressure should not use it, as it may cause further complications.
- Pregnant women and nursing women should strictly avoid this alkaloid.
- If taken with products containing high amounts of tyramine, it may show enhanced side effects.
Now, you would have understood how important it is to take this extract in a precise quantity. The side effects are common because of the fact that the difference between the prescribed quantity and the overdose is just of few micrograms. Hence, people get easily affected with the overdose. So, try to avoid it as much as you can and take it only when it is prescribed by your doctor.
Disclaimer: This HolisticZine article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.