Chlorophyll is the plant pigment that plays a key role in photosynthesis, and is known to have several health benefits. Its supplements are used widely across the globe. Find out more about these supplements, as well as their benefits and side effects, through this HolisticZine article.
Chlorophyll is the green pigment that enables plants to absorb sunlight, and produce energy by the process called photosynthesis. The term chlorophyll is actually derived from two Greek words, chloros, which means green and phyllon, which means leaf. A number of scientific studies have revealed the health benefits of this plant pigment, and the importance of including chlorophyll containing foods in our diet. However, the benefits of chlorophyll can also be derived from its supplements that are available as tablets, capsules, powder, and as a liquid.
Benefits of Chlorophyll
We can get all the health benefits of chlorophyll by including foods, like spinach, lettuce, asparagus, and broccoli in our diet, which are considered the best dietary sources of this green pigment. But due to the hectic schedule of modern life, it can become a bit difficult to include these foods regularly in our diet.
But with the availability of chlorophyll supplements, it has become quite easier to realize the health benefits of this plant pigment even in a busy schedule. The following are some of the most noteworthy benefits of this plant pigment:
- It has a structure similar to hemoglobin, the pigment found in red blood cells. The only difference is that, in hemoglobin the central atom is iron, while in chlorophyll, it is magnesium. So, this plant pigment is believed to be effective in stimulating the production of new red blood cells, which can prove quite beneficial in conditions like anemia.
- Chlorophyll has been found to possess anticancer properties. So, its supplements can protect the body from potential carcinogens, and thereby lower the risks of several types of cancer.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties, due to which it can help reduce inflammation and ensure fast healing of wounds.
- It can destroy infectious agents or harmful microorganisms due to its antiseptic properties.
- This plant pigment also possesses strong antioxidant properties, and so, its supplements can minimize the damage caused by the free radicals. It contains vitamin A, C, and E, all of which are powerful antioxidants that can prevent the oxidization of cells and tissues by the fee radicals.
- Chlorophyll is an immune booster, and can detoxify the body from harmful substances. It can cleanse the intestine, detoxify the liver, purify blood, and improve blood circulation.
- It can also help get rid of bad breath and body odor.
Chlorophyll Supplement Dangers
So far, these supplements have not been found to cause any major side effect. However, pregnant and breastfeeding women, as well as people with certain health problems like heart disease or high blood pressure should talk to their physicians before taking these supplements. Sometimes, these supplements can cause a severe allergic reaction in some individuals.
An allergic reaction to these supplements can manifest in skin rash or hives, swelling, and shortness of breath. On observing these side effects, be sure to discontinue their use, and inform your physician as soon as possible. Chlorophyll can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight, for which you may need to use a good sunscreen or sunblock to protect your skin from sunlight.
As far as the appropriate dosage is considered, you should better talk to your physician. The best way to ensure safety is take any kind of supplements only under the guidance or supervision of a health care provider.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only, and should not be treated as a substitute for professional medical advice.