Sinusitis is a medical condition in which the sinuses are blocked, resulting in building up of mucus inside them. Sinuses are spaces in the bones of face and skull which help to filter the air we breathe in and are very important for our respiratory health. The cells of the sinuses can be very easily affected by viral infections and allergens which cause inflammations or infections. Sinusitis is categorized as acute (sudden) or chronic (long-lasting). Identifying the early signs of a sinus infection can help you to prevent an acute sinus infection from developing into a chronic sinusitis.
Awareness about the sinusitis symptoms and treatment options can go a long way in reducing the onset of this disease. Let us take a look at some of the early symptoms of sinus infection.
- One of the early symptoms of a sinus infection is nasal congestion. One suffers from runny nose and constant sneezing, and mucus moves from throat to the stomach.
- The swelling of sinus cavity causes excessive pressure on the forehead and eyes. Because of this, one may experience severe pain in certain parts of the face.
- Another symptom of sinus is feeling of fatigue and nausea. It is also accompanied by tiredness and loss in concentration levels.
- The onset of sinus infection also causes bad breath and loss of sense of taste and smell.
- Toothache, specially in the area of upper jaw is also one of the early signs of sinus infection.
The diagnosis of sinus infection is made by assessing the medical history of the patient and by carrying out some physical tests. One of the commonly used methods is the CT scan. A CT scan depicts all the sinus spaces and helps in ascertaining if these are blocked due to any virus or allergens. Another way of diagnosing sinus infection is by carrying out an ultrasound of the affected area, however doctors prefer the CT scan as it gives them a detailed view of the sinuses.
Some of the remedies we can use to get rid of sinus infection are:
- Keep your body hydrated by drinking plenty of water and try to give your body good amounts of sleep. This helps in relaxing the muscles and bones. It is advised to avoid sleeping on your back as it can further clog your nasal cavities.
- Avoid drinking cold drinks as these further aid in blocking the nasal passage. Drinking hot coffee, tea, etc., is recommended.
- The most effective home remedy to open the blockage of your nasal cavity is to use hot-water (bottle-filled) with moderately warm water or pressing a moderately heated ball of cloth to the sinuses.
- The steam that you breathe in helps in clearing the blocked nasal passages. If you have a humidifier at home, you can use it to get some relief. Doing this about 3-4 times a day helps you in breathing clearly and also relieves facial pain.
- Drinking apple cider vinegar drinks during the initial stages of sinus infection helps in getting rid of mucus and relieves the symptoms of sinus infection.
- Vegetables such as spinach, beetroot, carrots are rich in Vitamin A which helps the immune system to fight against antigens. Frying garlic in a little oil and then consuming it with raw onion also helps in treating sinus infection.
- Another way to treat sinus infection is to eat a lot of citrus fruits. These fruits are high in Vitamin C which is useful in fighting sinusitis.
These were some of the home remedies to treat sinusitis. If you don't see a remarkable improvement after following the above-mentioned tips, don't wait any further and immediately consult your doctor. It is very important that you diagnose sinusitis early, so that treatment can be started and for that you need to carefully monitor the early symptoms of a sinus infection. We hope that the information mentioned in this article helps you with some valuable tips about sinusitis.