A stye is a common eye infection that affects people all over the world. There are various causes of this condition. Here are a few home remedies which can be helpful in curing it and relieving the pain.
An eye stye is a small bump which appears on the internal or external part of the eyelid. If extra oil, dust or bacteria is accumulated on the eyelash follicle or eyelid oil gland, such a stye can develop. It is also a result of stress and exposure of the eye to debris. It does not affect vision, but is painful. Development of an eye stye makes the eyes reddish and watery.
- Eye stye is mainly caused by bacteria. Consumption of dandelion tea daily will increase the body’s capacity of fight bacteria.
- The simplest treatment is to soak a cotton pad in warm water and place it over the eyes.
- Wash the eyes with triphala water. In order to make triphala water, add a spoon of triphala powder in a glass of water. Allow it to mix well, and after 10 – 12 hours, filter it, and use it for washing your eyes.
- Another remedy is to boil a teaspoon of coriander seeds in a cup of water, and then wash your eyes with this mixture.
- Another option is to wash your eyes with alum solution. This will definitely give some relief. For making alum solution, mix 2 – 3 granules of alum in a cup of water.
- Place wet tea bags on the eyes for 8 – 10 minutes. You can do this a number of times a day, for quick relief.
- Mash a potato and make its paste. Apply this paste evenly on the inflamed eye.
- Boil acacia leaves in 2 cups of water and prepare a concentrated extract from it, and apply it to the eyelids. Before you apply this extract, make sure that you strain it well.
- Turmeric helps in healing the stye. In a cup of water, boil a teaspoon of turmeric. Boil it till half of the solution has evaporated. Now, strain this solution thoroughly till all the turmeric granules are removed. This readies the solution, which can be used as eye drops.
- Cut an aloe vera leaf from the center and place the fleshy part on the eye.
- To reduce the pain, you can make use of a clove soaked in water.
- You can also use guava leaves to reduce the pain. Guava leaves also reduce the redness caused by the stye. For using guava leaves, place them in a warm and damp cloth, and then compress it slowly over the eyes. This will help when there is extreme pain.
- You can also apply castor oil externally to your eyes a number of times in day. Take care that the castor oil does not enter your eye.
- Spread the white part of a raw egg on a piece of cotton or paper towel. Then, place this piece of cotton or paper towel on the eye. This will surely be helpful.
There are a few things that you need to keep in mind when you get a stye. Avoid touching or squeezing the stye, as it might worsen the condition and cause the infection to spread. You also need to make sure that you maintain proper hygiene and wash your hands properly before and after touching the eye. In order to avoid getting a stye, keep your eyes clean and wash them regularly.