Acidity is a common condition that affects almost everyone, at some time or the other. Our stomach secretes gastric acid that is necessary in the process of digestion. Gastric acid, along with pepsin and other enzymes, helps in breaking down the complex matter into simpler substances that can be easily digested by the body. However, if the acid secretion exceeds the normal level, it results in this condition and the acid begins to move upwards, from the stomach into the lower esophagus. This regurgitation of the excess stomach acid can cause a burning sensation in the chest, normally referred to as heartburn. Other symptoms associated with this condition are nausea, loss of appetite, vomiting, chest pain, belching, and bloating. This is quite an unpleasant condition that causes a lot of discomfort, however, some home remedies could help cure the problem.
Acidity generally occurs after heavy meals or while sleeping, and the common practice would be the consumption of antacids. However, one should be aware that these antacids can reduce nutrient absorption in the body, and create several health problems. The safest option would be to follow natural remedies. There are several home remedies that can help you deal with this condition, without causing any side effects. So, here are a few options one can try:
- The best way to avoid this condition is to drink one or two glasses of water early in the morning. Drinking plenty of water after meals, helps in diluting the acid and also washes away the excess acid in the stomach.
- Chewing up a few basil leaves can provide relief from the symptoms such as nausea, gas, and bloating.
- Jaggery can work well as a cleansing agent for the stomach. Taking a small piece of jaggery after meals could help prevent acid formation in the stomach. It is considered to be one of the best home remedies.
- Consuming fresh fruits like banana, papaya, watermelon, and cucumber can also provide relief.
- Mix natural apple cider vinegar and raw honey in a large glass of water. Drinking it would help provide relief from the discomfort and burning sensation.
- Add one teaspoon of aniseed to a cup of hot water. Leave it overnight and strain the water in the morning. Add 1 teaspoon of honey to it and take it 3 times a day. It is one of the most effective home remedies.
- Make a finely powdered mixture from equal amounts of ginger powder, dried mint leaves, black pepper, aniseed, coriander, fennel, cumin, and common salt. Take it with water, twice a day after meals.
- Another effective home remedy for the condition is drinking fresh mint juice every day. Just chop some fresh mint leaves, boil them in water and sip slowly after meals.
- Fennel seeds also help relieve abdominal pain, gastrointestinal spasms, colon disorders, heartburn, and other stomach conditions.
Acidity can become quite a serious problem during pregnancy. There is less space available in the stomach and the stomach acid is forced into the esophagus, thus causing acidity and heartburn. Eating smaller meals that are properly timed can help combating this condition in such cases. Furthermore, drinking a glass of cold milk before going to bed is one of the best and safest remedies for this condition during pregnancy. Pregnant women should avoid taking any kind of pills without consulting the doctor.
The treatment for acid indigestion basically depends on the control of stomach acid levels. Besides following the aforementioned remedies, one should be avoid consuming the foods that cause heartburn and acidity.
Disclaimer: This HolisticZine article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.