Liver pain should set the warning bells ringing loud and clear in your head. Why? Because the liver is one of the most important organs in the body and is responsible for the storage of bile, enzymes and chemicals, as well as cleansing the system of the varied poisonous chemicals and other harmful substances that are introduced to and produced in the body. This makes the organ indispensable and a problem with the liver can lead to varied complications in the body and its functioning. The liver is situated in the abdomen and right under the rib cage. When there is a problem in the functioning of the liver, there will usually be liver pain. In this following article, we shall look through the most effective home remedies for liver pain and how to use them. But before that, let's understand what some of the symptoms and causes of liver pain are.
Causes and Symptoms
It's usually the diet that is seen to be a major factor leading to liver pain and other related problems. Alcohol consumption as well as consumption of acidic and spicy foods is known to lead to problems of the liver. Liver pain that emits after drinking alcohol is known to be one of the most common causes of the same. Along with that, an accident that causes a trauma to the liver, infliction of certain diseases and inadequate rest can also be major factors in leading to liver pain.
The deal with liver pain is that it is not simply restricted to pain but also goes on to bring about several other symptoms as well. Though most people will not experience all of these symptoms, even a few can be an indication of a serious liver problem. Here are some symptoms that can be observed.
- Varying degrees of pain in the abdomen, shoulders and back.
- Liver spots might come about which might be itchy and lead to discoloration of skin.
- A person might be inflicted with jaundice as well.
- Several eye problems might come about like dark circles, itching and yellowing of the eyes.
- Excessive sweating may be experienced in this situation.
- Bad breathe and funky body odor.
- Red palms and red soles that can cause itching (this is a very grave sign of liver damage).
It is important to know the symptoms of liver pain because they fall under a wide range. Therefore a knowledge of the same will help one be prepared to keep a lookout for this problem and take the precautionary as well as treatment methods required.
There are several things that one can do to care for the liver, in general, and thereby get rid of the liver pain that has ensued. Here are some solutions as part of the treatment plan that can be made use of.
Change in Diet and Lifestyle
The first thing that needs to be done is that a drastic change in ones lifestyle and diet needs to be brought to the fore. This includes giving up on alcohol and other foods which include spicy, oily, sugary and fatty foods as well as stimulants like tea and coffee. The alcohol produces harmful toxins in the body which damage the liver. While spicy foods cause for the burning of the liver lining and thereby lead to damage and pain. Sleeping on time and avoiding late hours goes a long way in aiding digestion. Similarly, exercising will also aid in this process.
The liver is responsible for getting rid of the toxins in the body and leading to better digestion, but when there is an accumulation of waste products that have not been digested well, it leads to the abnormal functioning of the liver and causes for liver damage as well. One of the best ways to help with the normal functioning of the liver is to carry through a liver cleansing or a liver detox. This includes fasting for a day, refraining from eating anything that is spicy and oily and putting least pressure on the liver by consuming vegetables and simple fare like so. This will cause for the accumulated waste to be dispelled and will lead to a clean system which helps in better digestion and liver functioning.
Foods to Eat
There are certain foods which can be consumed and which will help with the restoring of liver health. Here are some of the same:
- Consume lots and lots of water to help with the cleansing of liver.
- Include green leafy vegetables (cabbage, bitter gourd, sprouts) and fruits (especially papaya) because they do not pressure the liver in any way and help in the detox.
- Garlic has natural anti-inflammatory and anti fungal properties which helps in improving digestion and the liver functioning.
- Drink plenty of buttermilk and cow's or goat's milk. These have the natural properties to treat the heat in the body.
- Consuming aloe vera juice is also known to help.
These were some of the ways in which liver pain can be brought under control and normal functioning of the liver can be restored. Liver pain should never be ignored because it can lead to varied complications and can also prove to be fatal, so make it a point to be aware and take the necessary steps soon.