Inner ear problems may cause ear pain, fever, dizziness and temporary hearing loss. Hence getting this problem fixed in time will help in saving permanent damage to the ear.
Our ear is among the five sensory organs of our body. It is divided into three main parts: the outer ear, the middle ear and the inner ear. These three parts work together to make us hear sounds around us. The sound waves travel from the outer part of the ear, enter the middle part and then in the form of compressional waves, they enter the inner ear. From here they are converted into electric impulses and are sent to the brain.
The inner ear comprises three important parts cochlea, semicircular canals and auditory nerves. The semicircular canals are filled with a water fluid which also helps in the balancing of the body. So we can say that inner ear problems can affect your hearing and balancing ability. To get it right you need to know how to fix inner ear problems.
Inner Ear Problems
Inner ear problems can be caused due to many reasons. It may arise due to many bacterial, fungal or viral infections. It may result in ear inflammation and pain. Benign tumors may grow in the canal which connects the ear to the brain. Apart from these there are many disorders which may occur either at birth or develop later. Meniere’s disease, tinnitus and other vestibular system disorders or ear tube problems are some of the common disorders.
Hearing loss, ear pain, ringing in the ear, vertigo, dizziness, fatigue, motion sickness, slurred speech, jumping vision, etc. are some of the symptoms of inner ear problems. Most of the inner problems can be treated only through medical treatments but some problems can be cured with the help of home remedies.
How to Treat Inner Ear Problems
For any type of ear problem you need to first get it diagnosed by an ENT specialist. He will check your ear with the help of an otoscope. It will show the inflammation and infection inside the ears. Usually ear problems are fixed with the help of medical treatments but some of the home remedies are also considered to be effective. Following are some of the ways to fix inner ear problems.
- Placing a warm washcloth or a heating pad over the infected ear may help you get relief from the ear pain. If the condition does not improve with this treatment then some antibiotics may be prescribed by the doctor to get rid of the infection. He may also ask you to undergo some minor surgery.
- Vestibular rehabilitation therapy or VRT is considered to be very effective for vertigo sufferers. The therapy comprises a series of exercises for the head and body which help the person to overcome the feeling of vertigo.
- Antibiotics are very helpful in getting rid of the problems caused due to bacteria. Acetaminophen is one of the most common pain reliever.
- Keep an eye on your blood pressure. Eat food which is low in sodium and rich in vitamins and minerals, like fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid consumption of salt, caffeine, alcohol and nicotine
- Exercises, yoga and meditation are also considered to be very effective in case of inner ear disorders. Acupuncture treatments can also give you relief from such conditions.
- Some herbs like ginkgo biloba, lemon bioflavonoids are also used to cure inner ear infections.
Children are more susceptible to getting inner ear infection than adults. Hence to prevent ear infection in children you need to take certain precautionary measures. Some ear infections heal on their own, but sometimes antibiotics may be needed to clear the infection. Infants should be breastfed, as this will improve their immune power and will help them fight against various diseases.
Apart from these, try to avoid listening to loud music. If the sound makes you feel uncomfortable then use soft silicon ear plugs which will save your eardrums from getting damaged. These precautions will help you avoid a number of inner ear problems and will give you relief from its discomfort.