Sinus infections can cause painful headaches and other discomfort. Mostly, one gets this problem after a cold or flu. However, sometimes one might also get a sinus infection due to certain kinds of allergies. Another cause is a bacterial infection, but this is a very rare case. When a person gets infected the sinuses which are normally filled with air, get filled with mucus which doesn't get drained. This blocks the nasal passages, and leads to a stuffy nose, headache, and breathing discomfort. For treatment, doctors generally prescribe antibiotics. However, this is not recommended for long term use. If you are looking for a more natural, safer way, then here are some remedies that will help you to cure the infection naturally.
- Your first defense is to take a steam treatment. Hit the showers and inhale the warm steam, but don't take a bath in the shower. Another way is to boil water in a container and then add few drops of eucalyptus oil in it. Then inhale these medicated vapors. Use this remedy 3-4 times a day. Steam will help to clear up the nasal passages, and provide significant relief from a headache.
- Another effective home remedy, is to try nasal irrigation. You can find a neti pot in most medical shops, which you can use for this purpose. This will help you to drain the sinuses and allow clear breathing.
- You can also add a few drops of tea tree oil in a tissue paper, and carry the tissue with you. Keep sniffing the tissue often to keep your nasal passages clear.
- One of the most effective home remedies to get rid of the infection symptoms, is to drink apple cider vinegar which is diluted in water. This is a good remedy that you can use when you suspect an onset of cold. You can also use apple cider vinegar to the facial steam water, and inhale these vapors.
- To get rid of the headache without any medication, you can also use cold and hot compresses. First place a hot compress on the sinus for 3 minutes then apply a cold compress for 30 seconds, again do this for two more times. You can use this remedy 4-6 times a day.
- One of the best ways to fight the infection is to load up on vitamin C and zinc. They boost your immunity, and help to fight the cold and sinus infections. You can eat foodstuffs which are rich in vitamin C and zinc, or consider taking some all natural supplements.
- Also, keep drinking plenty of water. This helps in flushing out toxins from the body, and thinning the mucus, thus helping in quick recovery.
- You should also eat a balanced diet, to increase your body's immunity. Eat a diet which contains lot of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- To clear up the sinuses, you can drink warm soup and hot tea. Ginger tea and chicken soup with lots of pepper are good remedies that will help to cure the infection naturally.
If you don't get relief within 10-14 days of using the above home remedies, then seek medical help. Also, seek medical help in case your symptoms become worse.
Disclaimer: This HolisticZine article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.