Milk thistle has been used in the treatment of liver diseases for centuries. However, there have been some side effects associated with this. Let us have a look at them in this article.
Milk thistle is known taxonomically as Silybum marianum. This is a flowering plant and belongs to the daisy family. It is a tall plant with sharp spines and white veins on its leaves. A milk-like liquid is yielded when you crush the leaves and stems of this plant. This plant can be found all around the globe, although it is a native of south-east Europe and some parts of the Middle East. It can flourish in any dry and rocky terrain.
The use of this important and useful herb is not new to mankind. It has been in use for almost 2,000 years as a cure for liver diseases and other disorders, such as liver inflammation, liver damage, liver cirrhosis, and even gallbladder infections. Apart from being a cure for liver diseases, its benefits include reduction in the body cholesterol levels and also reduction in the chances of the growth of cancer cells in the body. However, why you need to know milk thistle side effects is the area I will be focusing on, as people are usually unaware or indifferent to this very important fact.
- Headaches: Excessive consumption of milk thistle leads to light or, sometimes, severe headache.
- Pain in the Joints: It is observed that in some people, consumption of milk thistle has resulted in frequent joint pain. This leads to difficulty in doing routine activities.
- Weakness: Sometimes, you might get a feeling of general weakness upon over consumption of milk thistle.
- Insomnia: Insomnia also has been reported by some consumers of this herb. This may further lead to fatigue and tiredness the whole day.
- Gas Trouble: Gas trouble is one of the most common side effects, when after a certain limit the body mechanism rejects any amount of milk thistle consumed. In some cases, bloating is also observed.
- Impotency: This is another side effect of milk thistle affecting the sexual health of a person.
Other side effects include diarrhea, skin rashes, nausea, digestion problems, heart-related problems, appetite loss, etc. However, these are just the mild side effects of milk thistle. Some severe side effects include itching, and swelling in the throat, lip area, tongue, or even face. Breathing problems are also observed in some people.
Milk thistle is beneficial and useful for curing many diseases and its properties have been highly appreciated, but over consumption of anything is harmful and the same goes for milk thistle. All the above mentioned side effects are caused due to its over consumption and this is the reason why you need to know about the properties of this herb. So, now that you know the side effects, you can avoid its overdose and consume it only in required quantities. However, do not opt in for milk thistle just because it is a popular medicine or because someone suggested it to you. You must insist on consulting a specialist to check whether it suits your body needs and if yes, get the right dosage prescribed for your body type.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.