Food poisoning is an illness that occurs when you consume contaminated food. The following HolisticZine write-up provides information on natural cures for food poisoning.
Food poisoning occurs when one consumes food that is not prepared or stored hygienically. Food-borne illnesses occur when the food contains bacteria, viruses, parasites, etc. Campylobacter enteritis, E. coli, Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella, Shigella, etc., are some of the causative pathogens. Though medical assistance must be sought in severe cases, following certain natural remedies can prove to be beneficial in case of mild food poisoning. Here are some tried-and-tested remedies that you could try in the confines of your home.
Medical help must be sought if the symptoms are severe. In mild cases, you could try certain measures.
- The affected person should eat only after the stomach settles. They should eat bland food that is easy to digest. For instance, you could have bananas, rice, toast, etc. Do not have caffeinated drinks and alcohol. Avoid dairy products and fatty food items.
- Drink an ORS solution about 3 times a day. It will help replenish the lost fluids and keep you hydrated.
- Swallow one clove of garlic with water. It might help, as garlic possesses antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties.
- Since ginger has anti-inflammatory properties, drinking ginger tea might prove beneficial. To make this tea, crush a small piece of ginger, and add it to one cup of boiling water. Allow the tea to steep for about 5 minutes. Drinking it will provide some relief.
- Herbs such as rosemary, fennel, thyme, basil, coriander, and sage can be incorporated in herbal infusions. These can prove to be effective in fighting against food-borne pathogens.
- Bananas are the best source of potassium. They help in providing the body with the essential minerals lost due to vomiting and diarrhea. Also, banana might help in controlling bowel movement to some extent.
- Activated charcoal can help to neutralize the effects of toxins and pathogens. Add 1 to 3 ounces of activated charcoal to 8 ounces of water. Drinking this solution might help.
- Add a ginger clove and a pinch of black pepper to lemon juice. Drink this juice thrice a day.
- Cut raw papaya into small cubes. Add them to 2 glasses of water. Boil this mixture for about 15 to 20 minutes. Then drain the mixture. Drink this concoction 3 times a day.
You should avoid eating solid foods till you feel better. Drink water, herbal tea, electrolyte drinks, juices, etc., to stay hydrated. Drinking fluids will also help flush out the toxins. If there are no signs of improvement, or the symptoms worsen, you must consult a doctor.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is solely for educating the reader. It is not intended to be a substitute for the advice of a medical expert.