Many are on the lookout for eye drops that do not contain any synthetic chemicals. There are quite a few herbal formulations that can act as natural eye drops for dry eyes or cataracts. They are discussed below:
Murine Tears for dry eyes provide a natural way to get relief from eye discomfort. These eye drops have 6 important ingredients that are found naturally in our tears. So, usage of these eye drops is guaranteed to stop the irritation associated with dry eyes. The lack of moisture in the eyes can be effectively treated with Murine Tears. With dry eyes causing ineffective production of tears, one has to add tears externally. Using Murine Tears is a good option as they are formulated to resemble our own tears. Hence, after putting just 2 drops in the affected eye, one gets immediate relief from the itchy sensation.
Another way to relieve dry eyes is to increase tear production naturally. This can be done by using 'Natural Ophthalmics', eye drops that rectify the issues associated with the 3 layers of tear film, in turn helping to improve tear production. Natural Ophthalmics are homeopathic drops and do not produce any side effects. Chronic dry eye sufferers have found this product extremely beneficial. However, before purchasing any of these herbal products, it would be wise to consult a doctor, to know whether it is useful for specific eye problem.
Making Eye Drops at Home
One should be very careful in making these eye drops as incorrectly prepared eye solutions are not only ineffective but may trigger an eye infection. Following are the steps to prepare this natural remedy to common eye problems such as itching or soreness in the eyes.
- First of all, you will need distilled organic water that is available at various grocery stores. Tap water or drinking water should not be used for making this natural home remedy. Many people argue that if drinking water is fit for consumption, then why not for the eyes? Well, drinking water does contain microbes that may not harm the body but can affect the eye. So, to be on the safer side, using distilled organic water is essential.
- Next, another ingredient essential to make these eye drops is baking soda. Buy a brand new box of baking soda. Small amount of iodized salt is also required. As prescribed quantity of ingredients are required to make it effective, you will require a measuring spoon and a measuring cup. The quantity can be easily measured, using a measuring spoon.
- You will also require an eye dropper, which is available at various health stores. The eye dropper is not at all costly and is available at just $1.
- Take a container filled with water and put the eyedropper in it. Now, heat the water, until it starts boiling. This is essential to kill all the bacteria in the eyedropper. It is the best way to sterilize the eye dropper.
- In a cup of distilled organic water, add a pinch of baking soda. In this solution, mix ¼ teaspoon of salt. Now, boil this mixture in a container for a minute. Switch off the gas, and let the solution cool down. Using the sterilized eye dropper, take 2 drops of this solution and put them into the affected eye. The solution will definitely help to reduce the discomfort associated with the eye.
Although this home remedy for common eye issues works to alleviate the discomfort, this homemade recipe for eye drops has to be prepared in the right way. Incorrect measurements of ingredients will defeat the purpose of using these eye drops and may harm the eye. Also, this homemade eye drops should be used for not more than two days, as they do not contain any natural preservatives. Hence, there is a possibility of bacterial growth invading the solution after a few days.
Remember, the eyes are very precious and delicate, and so if you are not very sure about making these natural eye drops properly, it would be wise to consult a doctor and go for prescription eye drops that suit your eyes.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is solely for educating the reader. It is not intended to be a substitute for the advice of a medical expert.