Sinus infections affect most people and can cause a great deal of discomfort. Sinusitis is a respiratory disorder characterized by the inflammation of the sinuses. The inflammation may be a result of a bacterial, viral, or allergic infection and may get aggravated by certain weather conditions and allergens. The discomfort caused by the inflammation of the sinuses can increase if it is not treated appropriately. Although there is medication available to treat sinusitis, they may not cure it completely and do not provide relief from certain symptoms. Quick relief can be obtained by the use of some natural remedies.
Symptoms of Sinus Infections
The signs and symptoms of sinus infection include severe headache, nose block, troubled breathing, fever, sore throat, chest and nasal congestion. These may be severe and mild depending upon the intensity of the infection.
If you are prone to sinusitis or related infections, all natural remedies must be used as soon as the symptoms crop up. This will enable you to stop the further development of the infection.
The most important step to be taken when you have a sinus infection is to relieve the nasal blockage by draining the sinuses of the mucus that has been accumulated. Steam inhalation is the most effective way of doing this. For relief from headache and other sinusitis symptoms, add a few drops of an essential oil like lemon oil or eucalyptus oil to the boiling water.
Another important natural remedy for sinus infection is to irrigate the nasal passages with salt solution. Mix ½ tablespoon salt with a glass of warm water and use a needle less syringe to deliver this solution into the nasal passages. Hold it there for a minute by tilting your head backwards and then drain it out.
Steaming hot chicken soup is the best medicine for any respiratory disorder. Consuming it with some pepper powder added to it will relieve you off a headache and sore throat.
Keeping yourself hydrated during a sinus infection is of utmost importance as your body constantly gets rid of water during this time. Drink as many glasses of warm water as possible to keep yourself hydrated all the time.
- Eating raw garlic can rid you of the cold and chest congestion associated with sinus infections.
- Prepare peppermint tea and consume this twice a day to relieve sinus infection symptoms. It will help drain the mucus and ease breathing difficulty.
- Pour a drop or two of bitter orange oil on a cotton swab and apply this to the nasal passages. This will help reduce the inflammation of the passages and fight infection.
- Prepare ginger tea or grate the ginger and extract a few drops of juice from it, them mix it with honey and consume. This is a well-known and effective herbal remedy for sinusitis.
- Add a few drops of grapefruit seed extract to warm water in a neti pot and use this for nasal irrigation to clear sinus blockages. This one of the best remedies for sinus infections during pregnancy.
- Consume zinc, vitamin C, and echinacea supplements to recover quickly from the sinus infection and boost the immune system.
Disclaimer: This HolisticZine article is for informative purposes only and does not, in any way intend to replace the advice of a medical expert.