Oil of oregano capsules are used as an alternative medicine. Read this article to get a brief overview of their uses, benefits, and side effects.
Oil of oregano is a naturally-occurring substance derived from the wild oregano plants, also known as Origanum vulgare. It is different from common plant, which is used for seasoning foods. The high medicinal values of this plant were known to ancient Greeks. Today, research studies have also found that the two phenolic compounds, namely, carvacrol and thymol present in it are highly beneficial for human health. Oregano oil is available in liquid form as well as in the form of capsules. For oral intake, the former is more suitable. This is because the liquid is broken down in the stomach itself, while the capsule supplies the essential components to the intestines (here is where the herb benefits are actually needed the most). On that note, this article gives you some benefits and side effects of the oil of oregano capsules.
When this oil is ingested in the form of capsules, it releases oxygen that reacts with the water in the body and produces heat. The heat generated dehydrates the germs and bacteria present in the body and destroys them naturally. Some key benefits are as follows:
- It is good for the digestive system. It promotes secretion of various digestive juices that improves digestion. The concentrated form of phenol compounds present in it also helps a lot in calming down an upset stomach.
- It acts as natural decongestant and can control sore throat and other respiratory problems really well. Its anti viral properties destroy the virus that causes the infection. If it is taken at the onset of sinus infection, then it can prevent any further aggravation of the condition.
- Its antioxidant qualities neutralizes the damaging effects of free radicals and thus, provide protection form various age-related problems, like degeneration of muscles, hearing loss, disorders of nervous systems, cancer, etc. It can fight off wrinkles and other signs of aging, too.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties can effectively treat both internal as well as external inflammations. For those who are suffering from joint swelling, it helps to reduce the swelling and improve joint mobility. Similarly, it can also bring down muscle pain and improve its flexibility.
- Regular consumption can strengthen the immune system. Thus, it improves your body’s ability to ward off various forms of infections caused by fungi, bacteria, virus, protozoa, and other pathogens.
Even though there are so many health benefits, its long term use may have an adverse effect on the iron absorption capacity of the body. For this reason, doctors often recommend that iron supplements be taken alongside. These tablets are not suitable for all. It is not safe for pregnant women. It tends to promote flow of blood into the uterus, which in turn may cause weakening of the lining around the fetus in the womb. Those who are allergic towards basil mint or sage should avoid it, as the plant belongs to the same family. Some people complain about minor side effects, such as vomiting, skin irritation, etc., after consumption. In such cases, one must stop this medicine immediately.
One can take 1-4 capsules every day. In general, dosage for daily consumption should not be more than 600 mg per day. Initially, the dosage should be kept low, and if required, it can be increased gradually. It should be taken after meals, along with a glass of water. This will enable the body to flush out toxins. Like any other alternative medicines, it is always advisable that you consult your doctor before you start taking these capsules.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.