Give tips on holistic health.

How to Pass a Kidney Stone Quickly

How to Pass a Kidney Stone Quickly

Kidney stones cause severe pain. The long-term effect of these stones is the damage that they cause to the kidneys. Hence, passing them quickly is of vital importance.
Bhakti Satalkar
Last Updated: Apr 22, 2018
These stones are caused when the kidneys are not able to maintain the mineral balance well. Due to this, lumps of excess minerals are formed called kidney stones. Not all of them are identified immediately, as in some cases they do not cause pain. They are identified in the routine check up. Since they pose a threat to the kidneys, passing them through the body is important.


Kidney stones have different shapes, compositions, and sizes. Most are formed out of calcium. Their size is often less than 5 mm. About 80% of the population suffers from these stones. The remaining 20% have uric acid and silicate stones, which are bigger than 5 mm.

If the stones are small in size (less than 5 mm), they do not require any kind of treatment, and they pass out of the body on their own. This was observed in 90% of the patients. You will have to ensure, that you consume a lot of liquids. In case of pain, you can take pain relief medicines. If it is unbearable and your doctor is of the opinion that the stones will pass on their own, he might prescribe a stronger anti-inflammatory medicine.

The golden rule to always remember is to drink plenty of water. Women are more prone to be affected than men, and hence, along with water they can also consume other fluids. You should drink at least 8 to 10 glasses per day, so as to keep your urine clear.

There are various treatment methods that can help in the removal of kidney stones. One of them is lithotripsy. In this technique, shock waves are used to break the stones. After this, the patient has to make sure that his liquid consumption is high.

An easy home remedy is to mix one tablespoon of olive oil with one tablespoon of lemon. Drink this mixture with a glass of water. This will help in passing the stone without pain, as olive oil greases it.

If they are uric acid stones, eating cherries for a few days, which will help to remove them quickly. This is one of the easiest home remedies. Acidic remedies can also be used to treat calcium kidney stones. Phosphoric acid is helpful in passing them as it help to dissolve them. Thus, citrus fruits are a very good treatment option. Water soluble fibers should also be consumed, which act like a diuretic and flushes the small stones out.

All the beer connoisseurs will be happy to know that beer is a natural diuretic. It encourages production and flow of urine, and helps in flushing out the stones. Lemonade, fruit, and vegetable juices can also prove to be beneficial. On the other hand, if you are caffeine fan, there is a bad news. Caffeine causes dehydration, and hence, is unsuitable for treatement of this ailment. At the same time, it also encourages formation of new stones.

Walking exercises is beneficial if you have kidney stones. There is a possibility that due to pain, your movements will be restricted. You should try to move them as much as you can.

How Long Does It Take To Pass a Kidney Stone?

It takes 1 to 3 weeks for it to be out of the body. At times there are chances that it may take up to 4 weeks or longer than that to remove the stone depending upon its size and the person's lifestyle.


In case you feel like urinating, but are unable to do so, talk to your doctor immediately. The stone can block the urinary tract. This can cause a kidney infection, which can prove to be fatal as the urine goes back to the kidneys. There are strainers and cups available that will also be a bit helpful in this regard. This will help the doctor to ascertain the kind of stones that are formed, and then prescribe the appropriate treatment required if any.

Disclaimer: This HolisticZine article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.