Knowledge of psoriasis treatment will help you to take certain measures to control this skin disorder. The name of this condition originates from a Greek word which means itchiness.
Research findings suggest the condition of the skin ailment to be chronic which may later affect the joints. It is an immune induced ailment, in which the immune system of the body fails to differentiate a healthy skin cell from a bacterium or virus. There are four types of this disorder. In plaque psoriasis, the skin tissues piles over rapidly at a vulnerable spot of the body, mostly on the joints, the heels, knees, and sometimes the soles, giving it a silvery white appearance. Estimates shows that as much as one to three percent of the world population suffers from it. This disorder generally affects the scalp, however in some cases, it spreads to the skin areas, particularly, the back of the neck, elbows, knees, groin, and ears. This skin disorder produces a number of symptoms such as skin flakes, red patches on the skin, silvery white scales on the scalp, and itchiness. The symptoms are not only discomforting, they can be very embarrassing for a person too.
Seeking a permanent cure for scalp or skin psoriasis has not yet been discovered. It is not a completely treatable condition. However, taking various therapeutic steps may reduce the symptoms inflicted by it. Following these steps, the skin condition can certainty be kept under control.
Psoriasis Treatment for the Skin
- Dead sea salts are believed to treat this skin condition very effectively. So, take Epsom salt, mix it in lukewarm water, and take a bath with it everyday. This remedy will certainly reduce the symptoms of this disease.
- Warm coconut oil a bit and apply it on the affected area of the skin. Leave it on for half an hour, before taking a bath. These days, you can even get soaps made from coconut oil in the market, so, if you find application of oil a little inconvenient, try these instead.
- A juice made from bitter gourd and lemon should be taken first thing in the morning. A regular intake of this is known to cure psoriasis, although it may take months before the effects are visible.
- Mix olive oil and tea tree oil in equal quantities. Make the mixture warm and apply it on the affected area, to get rid of the dryness caused by psoriasis.
- Eating garlic everyday can help in purifying the blood and removing the impurities from it, which otherwise is a strong causative agent in impairing the condition of the skin. So, every night before going to bed, make a habit of eating a few cloves of garlic.
- Take a sun bath everyday. This will increase vitamin D in the body, and at the same time tan the skin, both of which helps in the cure. The sunlight exposure remedy has to be done on a limited extent.
- Increase the intake of vitamin E, as it is known to serve as a strong agent for a cure. So, include foods high in vitamin E in your diet, such as broccoli, asparagus, almonds, mangoes, papayas, and Brussels sprouts.
Psoriasis Treatment for the Scalp
- For scalp psoriasis treatment, mix together aloe vera and jojoba oil. Apply this on the hair and scalp with your fingertips. Leave it on for at least an hour before washing off with a mild shampoo.
- Massage the scalp with a mixture made from water and apple cider vinegar in equal quantities. Regular application of apple cider vinegar is known to soothe and heal inflammations on the scalp caused by psoriasis.
- To get rid of the itching caused by scalp psoriasis, apply neem oil on the scalp once a week.
- Choose your shampoo very carefully. Preferably, use a shampoo which has sea salts in it. Shampoos with wheat germ are extremely beneficial to treat this scalp problem too.
- A hair mask made from a tablespoon each of honey, olive oil, and aloe vera is known to cure the flakiness and itchiness on the scalp. So, apply honey evenly all over the scalp and hair, leave it on for one hour, and then wash it off with a shampoo for scalp psoriasis cure.
- Follow a balanced diet and eliminate fatty foods, fried foods, and foods rich in carbohydrates. This will help in controlling this condition.
- For plaque psoriasis, expose your hair and scalp to sunlight everyday for around ten to fifteen minutes. This is one of the best home remedies.
The treatment methods given here are not a cure for this skin problem. You need to get proper diagnosis and treatment for scalp psoriasis from a dermatologist. Besides these, reducing stress by exercising regularly and drinking a gallon of water everyday to ensure that toxins get removed from the body, are some of the self-care measures you can take to prevent this skin condition from aggravating.
Disclaimer: This HolisticZine article is for informative purposes only, and should not be replaced for the advice of a medical professional.