Yes, there are natural remedies for reversing atherosclerosis, which might demand lifestyle changes. This article provides information on natural ways for atherosclerosis reversal. Read on to know how the changes in diet and lifestyle help improve the health of the arteries.
Narrowing of blood vessels due to excess deposition of fats and cholesterol is known as atherosclerosis. The plaque or cholesterol in the arteries results in narrowed lumen of the arteries. Atherosclerosis thus leads to restricted blood flow. Limited supply of blood and oxygen to the brain, heart and other organs can affect their functions badly. Reversing atherosclerosis is possible by undergoing a surgery or it is possible if a balanced diet is followed and exercises are performed regularly.
The breakages and cracks in the walls of the arteries are observed when there is a deficiency of vitamin C. In such cases, the body is compelled to use cholesterol to patch those bruised arteries. When this cholesterol hardens and settles down in the arteries, you notice the clogged artery symptoms, leading to various cardiovascular diseases or stroke or peripheral artery disease. Thus, it is easy to conclude that vitamins and minerals along with other nutrients play an important role in lowering the symptoms of atherosclerosis.
According to the available statistics, around 405,000 coronary angioplasties are performed each year in the U.S., as the problem of blocked arteries has become very common. Now, you won’t be surprised to read that around 500,000 bypass heart surgeries are performed in the U.S. every year. These surgeries are very expensive and there is always the risk of neurological complications, strokes, etc. The failure rate of the surgeries is quite high and sometimes, another surgery is required in case of this. The main point is that these surgeries do not address the underlying disease. Surgeries can not change the gradual accumulation of fatty deposits in the arteries. It is obvious that the arteries can again be obstructed with fatty material. So, if you consider the several angioplasty risks, it is always better to try the natural remedies that work great for atherosclerosis, after consulting your doctor.
Reversing Atherosclerosis Naturally
Studies related to preventive medicine have proved that artery blockages can be reversed by changing your lifestyle and that too with no harmful side effects! In fact, these side effects are desirable ones, that result in a better quality of life. Cholesterol builds up the plaques inside the arteries, making the arteries clogged, leading to various cardiovascular diseases. Diet, exercise and stress management are the important keys used in reversing atherosclerosis.
- Wrong Eating Habits: Atherosclerosis reversal is possible if you are ready to change the eating habits. You should avoid junk food, highly processed food and food refrigerated for too many days. Similarly, you should avoid late nights, skipping breakfasts or lunches, etc.
- High Fiber Diet: You should eat more fruits, fresh vegetables, whole grains, beans, oatmeal, etc. to increase the amount of dietary fiber. A high fiber diet can help you lower the cholesterol levels.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids: Foods packed with omega 3 essential fatty acids such as salmon, tuna, flax seeds can prevent blood clotting and oxidation of cholesterol. The lycopene present in tomatoes also prevents the oxidation of cholesterol.
- Vitamin B3 or Niacin: Niacin helps you avoid heart diseases.
- Vitamin E: Foods rich in Vitamin E like sunflower seeds or Swiss chard can reduce inflammation of the walls of the arteries.
- Low Cholesterol Diet: A cholesterol lowering diet should be followed by those who have atherosclerosis. They should avoid food containing saturated fats. They should opt for foods rich in unsaturated fat like fish, almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, peanuts, olive oil and canola oil which can help clean arteries of plaque.
- Water: You should drink plenty of water and stay hydrated at all times.
- Dietary Supplements: It has been proved that certain natural supplements can help dissolve plaque. Garlic tablets, vitamin E and vitamin K supplements, fish oil supplements, etc. are known to keep arteries in their top state of health.
- Plant Sterols and Stanols: Consumption of foods with plant sterols and stanols works great for atherosclerosis. Brown rice, whole wheat, nuts, pumpkin seeds and vegetables like, broccoli, cauliflower, tomato, Brussels sprouts, etc. contain these essential elements. These days, a number of food items are fortified with plant stanols and sterols.
- Other Items: Green tea, apples, grapefruits, olive oil, especially extra virgin olive oil and apple cider vinegar also help to lower cholesterol. Daily consumption of fish oil and garlic enhances blood circulation through the arteries.
Even moderate cardiovascular exercises like brisk walking, swimming, cycling, jogging, aerobic exercises, dancing, etc. if performed regularly, can prove efficient in dissolving the plaque in the arteries. Any type of regular exercise helps reduce the level of bad cholesterol and raises the level of good cholesterol, helps destroy the plaque inside the arteries. For beginners, guidance of physicians and physical trainers is necessary.
Though stress is an unavoidable part of modern life, you should learn to avoid stress. Stress affects the hormonal levels severely, resulting in clogged arteries. You should learn the techniques of stress management so as to avoid hormonal imbalance. Listening to music, reading a book, joining laughter clubs, yoga, meditation, etc. can help you avoid anxiety and depression. Doctors do prescribe stress relieving tablets but opting for yoga and meditation will be more beneficial and you will be able to enjoy trouble free, happy and active life.
If the above instructions are religiously followed, the difference can be noticed within a few days itself. Atherosclerosis reversal is not that difficult, you just have to make a commitment to yourself.