Rhodiola herb is used for several medicinal purposes. This article will give you more information on the health benefits associated with it.
Rhodiola belongs to the family Crassulaceae, and is found in cold mountainous regions. It is mostly found in the continents of Asia and Europe. Interestingly, the use of this herb dates back to several centuries. Historians claim that its reference is found in the ancient Greek documents. There are more than 100 known varieties of this herb, however, the most popular and useful is the Rhodiola rosea, also known as golden root or rose root. It has anti-oxidant and anti-depressant properties, and is used to treat several health conditions.
Following are the claimed benefits of the herb. It is advised to consult the doctor before using the herb.
- It is used to reduce stress and its effects. It reduces anxiety and helps people cope up with stressful situations successfully.
- It helps in quicker muscle recovery after exercise. It increases strength and energy levels in people. It increases a person’s ability for strenuous physical exercise and sports.
- It has a positive effect on the brain and helps in increasing attention, memory, and alertness.
- It helps in treating several neurological disorders like depression, anxiety, mental fatigue, and mood swings.
- It is beneficial in treating sleep disorders, fatigue, loss of appetite, and irritability.
- It is believed to treat premature ejaculation and also aid in improving sexual functions. It is used to treat sexual dysfunction and disorders related to menopause.
- It helps in treating heart-related health concerns, hypertension and stress-induced cardiac disorders. It regulates heart beats and is believed to prevent arrhythmia.
- It aids in enhancing the immune system, which consequently helps in the prevention of several diseases. It is also very effective in maintaining temperature and homeostasis or metabolic balance in the body.
Among other benefits, rhodiola is also believed to be helpful in treating the following diseases and disorders:
- Cold and flu
- Respiratory disorders
Dosage and Side Effects
Rhodiola rosea is available in several forms in the market. The typical recommended dosage of this herb is 100 to 200 milligrams. However, one should remember that no herbal medications should be used without the recommendation of the doctor as they can, sometimes, cause side effects. There are no known severe side effects, however, one may experience irritability, nausea, irritability, etc., on excess or improper intake of this herbal medicine.
The effect of the herb depends on the quality of the product and it is essential to look for genuine products in the market. It is also recommended for older people, children, pregnant women, and people suffering from any chronic disorder not to take this herb or its supplements without the doctor’s consultation.
These are the claimed benefits. Studies and researches are still carried out in order to confirm these claimed health benefits. As a concluding note, one should remember that herbal medicines can have different effects on people, and hence, one should not take it without prescription. Take care!
Disclaimer: This article is meant only to provide information. It is recommended to consult the doctor before consuming the herb in any form.