The stomach is a very important part of the body. Simple and complex problems associated with the stomach can be relieved with a regular stomach massage.
According to traditional Chinese medicine, the stomach is the center of energy; therefore massaging this area also energizes the entire body. A stomach massage can be included into a regular exercise routine and can be done first thing in the morning, before breakfast.
A stomach massage does wonders for a person’s body. It is a good remedy for nausea, indigestion, overeating, diarrhea and vomiting. Massaging the stomach opens the abdominal cavity and releases the fascia so that the organs can lie unrestricted in their natural positions in the abdominal cavity. Since the stomach is the softest, least-protected area of the body, it is always advisable to work very gently and rhythmically in this area, only increasing the pressure slowly.
To begin the exercise, you need to stand with your feet parallel. Bend your legs a little and sink your weight into them. Remember to keep your back in an upright position. You could also sit on a firm but comfortable chair with your back straight, or even lie down on your back in bed or on the floor. Once this is done you can either take your top off or pull it up so that your stomach and abdominal area is bare.
- Next, rub your hands together briskly until they are hot.
- Place them on your belly button, one on top of each other.
- Use your fingers and palm to rub in small, anticlockwise circles around your belly button, following the path of your colon, that is, from the right side to the left.
- Use fairly firm pressure while massaging. (Make sure you are comfortable with the amount of pressure.)
- Begin rubbing in small circles and gradually make them bigger.
- Concentrate on the heat penetrating your stomach.
- You need to do about 40 to 50 circles or simply massage for several minutes.
- Follow this routine once or twice a day, after which it is important to cover the area to keep it warm.
Dos and Don’ts
- Make sure you always use a lotion or massage oil
- Begin massaging from the right side towards the left
- Spend at least 5 minutes relaxing
- Sit up slowly, instead of standing up straight away
A stomach massage should be avoided in the following cases:
- General, femoral, inguinal and umbilical hernia
- Inflammation of the uterus, bladder, ovaries and fallopian tubes
- Stones in the gallbladder, kidneys or bladder
- Ulcers of the intestines and stomach
- Bleeding of the stomach, lungs or brain
- Straight after a heavy meal
Benefits of the Massage
♣ Stimulates a vital center of energy
♣ Stimulates the abdominal organs
♣ Increases blood circulation in the area
♣ Remedies indigestion and constipation
♣ Stimulates slow digestion
Massaging helps to maintain a healthy body. It also helps relieve stress and induce relaxation. Moreover, if you know how to do it yourself, then you can easily do it at home free of cost.