Tongue is one of the sensory organ of our body which is responsible for the sense of taste. Apart from taste, it plays very important role in other activities, such as chewing, talking, swallowing food, etc. Hence, even a single problem with the tongue can hinder many activities. Among all the problems, swollen tongue is one of them. Although there is treatment for swollen tongue, the causes may sometimes be dangerous.
Following are some of the causes which all need to be treated before the condition becomes critical.
- Tongue infection
- Infected tongue piercing
- Allergies: food and medicinal
- Side effects of medicines
- Transient lingual papillitis
There are many treatments which can help you to get relief from this condition. Let's divide the treatment into two sections, home remedies and medical treatment.
Swollen tongue can create many problems but there are many treatment to reduce the swelling naturally. Following are some of them.
- Liquid or semi-solid food can give you relief, as you may face difficulty in chewing and swallowing food, switching to such diet will relax your tongue.
- You can soak some of the mint leaves, aniseeds and rosemary overnight. In the morning, drain the mixture and use that solution as mouthwash. The medicinal value of the ingredients used would help in calming the inflammation, fight with the germs and would also give you fresh breath. You can also prepare the mouthwash by mixing aniseed with funnel seed.
- Try not to eat food which can stimulate salivation this may include salty and sour food. This will definitely relieve you to a great extent.
- Put small amount of sugar in your mouth this will lower the salivation.
- Cold therapy can also help in reducing the swollen tongue. So, place a small piece of ice in the mouth for some time.
- Mix half tablespoon of turmeric in a glass of water and gargle with it at least twice a day. This will help you to relieve tongue pain, inflammation and swelling.
- Celery sticks can also help in reducing swollen tongue.
- The most important remedy is water. Drink lots of water.
As we know the major cause of swollen tongue is allergy, there are many medical treatments which can help you get relief from it.
- There are many medications available in the market which can give relief in case of food allergies.
- In case of severe allergies, the patient may be given injection of epinephrine, which can give you fast relief from swelling.
- If the tongue becomes infected due to some diseases like scarlet fever, then the treatment for the condition will reduce the swelling automatically.
Other treatments may depend on the cause of the swollen tongue. In case you are not able to get relief from the herbal treatments, then consult a doctor immediately to know the cause and then to treat it as soon as possible.