Are you suffering from swollen tonsils? This Buzzle article lists some remedies which can prove to be helpful.
Tonsils, which are located at the back side of the throat, help in trapping germs by acting as filters. They also help in producing antibodies that help fight infection. If the germs and bacteria enter the airways, they can cause an infection, leading to swollen tonsils. Swallowing becomes a problem, which might cause irritation and discomfort.
Inflammation of the tonsils is called tonsillitis, which can be caused by various bacteria and viruses, allergies, irritants, pollution, flu, cold, and a dry environment. It is commonly seen in children. However, you don’t need to make frequent trips to the doctor if the pain is negligible. With some effective remedies, you can surely reduce the pain. Check them out in the sections below.
- As humidifiers help to keep the air in the room humid, you can use them to reduce the pain. As the air inside the room is moist, breathing becomes simpler. Since the tonsils are coated with moisture, it becomes easy to swallow the food. Changing the water everyday and keeping the humidifier clean is a must. This will keep the humidifier away from bacteria and mold.
- Resting your sore throat is a must. This will definitely help in alleviating the swelling and irritation. In order to avoid the discomfort related to the throat, try to talk as minimal as possible and reduce the intake of solid foods. In spite of having swollen tonsils, if you talk, it might affect the vocal cords and cause laryngitis.
- Make sure that you remain hydrated and drink lots of water. This will help your body fight any kind of infection and swelling. You should consume at least eight glasses of water per day.
- Gargle with warm water and a bit of salt in it.
- Gargle your mouth with an antiseptic, which will help in killing the bacteria.
- Gargle your mouth with dark-colored soda (Pepsi or cola) and powdered aspirin. Do not swallow this mixture.
- Squeeze a fresh lemon in a glass of water and add four teaspoons of honey and ¼ teaspoon of salt in it. Drink this solution sip by sip.
- Add two tablespoons of fenugreek in one liter of water and simmer this liquid for 30 minutes. Allow it to cool for sometime and then gargle your mouth with this liquid. This has proved to be extremely effective.
- Milk has also proved to be beneficial. Add a pinch of turmeric powder and pepper powder in a glass of boiled milk and drink it at night for three consecutive days.
- Another option is vegetable juice. You can combine juices of cucumber, beet, and carrot, and drink it. Carrot juice should be 300 ml in quantity, while beet juice and cucumber juice should be 100 ml. If you want, you can also drink these juices individually.
- Boil 12 grams of banafsha flowers (botanical name ― viola odorata) in a cup of milk and drink it at night. The milk should be filtered and consumed warm.
- Eating cold foods like flavored ice cream and popsicles will help ease the pain.
These home remedies are easy and anyone can opt for them, irrespective of their gender and age group. If in spite of adopting these remedies, the symptoms persist, it is better to visit a medical practitioner to be on the safer side.