Vomiting weakens the body and causes dehydration which can be quite dangerous. It is automatically done by the body to clear itself of harmful and toxic substances. But sometimes when we ingest some harmful substances which could be poisonous, the body may take time to get it out through vomiting or it is unable to do so. Under such a situation, it becomes very necessary to get those things out of our body as soon as possible.
The best thing to do at this stage is to induce vomiting. Using salt water to induce vomiting is one of the simplest and the oldest methods to get rid of the unwanted and harmful substances. So, let's find out in the following paragraphs, the method and the benefits of inducing vomiting through salt water.
How to Induce Vomiting Using Salt Water
Inducing vomiting is as easy as you think. It is quite dangerous and should be performed only when it is very necessary. Before performing any of the methods to induce vomiting try to consult a medical professional to avoid complications. You can use the following method if you or any of your loved ones have ingested any substance which can be toxic or poisonous, or if the person is likely to have food poisoning.
- Take about one glass of tap water and warm it. Do not make it too hot as you have to drink it in one go.
- Now put 4 tablespoons of table salt into the water and stir it till it gets completely dissolved. You can also add small amount of mustard oil in it.
- Drink it in one go. Try to drink the entire glass of water.
- After the drinking the salt water, drink 4 to 5 glass of plain water.
- By this time you may be able to get the vomiting sensation or may be you will vomit just after having the glass of salt water. But if you have not vomited yet then just wait for sometime and be prepared as you will vomit anytime. You can also stick your finger in your throat and get your gag reflex to vomit.
Things to Remember
Though salt water to induce vomiting is effective and a very good way to get rid of the toxins, following are some of the points which you need to keep in mind while using this method. Have a look.
- Vomiting can be very dangerous as it can affect your internal organs, tear or damage your esophagus and cause you dehydration. Hence, induce vomiting only in severe cases when you don't have any other option.
- Call the doctor immediately for emergency support.
- Excess salt can be dangerous for health, hence when you take salt water, avoid taking it in excess as it can harm the internal organs. If you are reducing the amount of water then reduce the amount of salt too.
- Do not give the solution if the person is sleepy, incoherent or intoxicated as it may even cause death. Take advice of the doctor in such cases.
- When you feel like vomiting, bend down so that the vomit does not enter the lungs and cause complications.
- Once you vomit, have 1 glass of cool water so as to soothe the esophagus and stomach. It will also save you from dehydration.
This is just an emergency first aid, hence consult a doctor immediately and get completely rid of the toxic substance from your body. If you observe other symptoms like nausea then you may have a serious problem. Do not ignore these symptoms as they can be life-threatening also. There are many other methods to induce vomiting like use of ipecac, copper sulfate, hydrogen peroxide, warm mustard water, etc. But it's better to get advice from your doctor and then use any of the methods.