Baldness is a common problem faced majorly by men. It is generally the result of aging, hormonal changes, heredity, stress, poor nutrition, lack of good hair hygiene, improper blood circulation, as well as certain diseases and disorders.
Androgenic alopecia or alopecia areata is one of the forms of baldness, and is more commonly known as male pattern baldness. Here, one starts losing hair from the region above the temples. It is followed by the crown, and lastly the hair on the sides of the head is lost. As the name suggests, this pattern is generally seen in males. In females, the overall hair volume reduces, and there is no change in the hairline. Other types include traction alopecia and trichotillomania.
Home Remedies for Baldness
Apart from medical treatments and therapies, the following home remedies may prove to be useful for improving the hair volume, and promoting growth of new hair.
- Massage your scalp with a mixture of Castor oil and almond oil, twice a week. Massage in a circular direction, so that the oil penetrates inside the scalp.
- Yogurt and camphor are said to improve hair growth. Take a bowl, and add 4 tbsp. of yogurt, and 4 tbs of camphor to it. Mix well, and set aside for about half an hour. Then, apply the paste over the affected area. Let the paste dry for at least four hours, and wash off with lukewarm water.
- Lemon is effective for almost every hair problem, including baldness. Simply cut a lemon in two, and rub it over the affected area, wash it after a couple of hours. You can also make a paste of dry lemon seeds, black pepper, and water. Mix it into a thick paste, and apply it on your head. Wash it after a couple of hours.
- This remedy calls for carrot, lettuce and alfalfa. What you have to do is, mix the juices of these three things, and drink it immediately. This treatment will not only stop hair loss, but also promote hair growth.
- Prepare coconut milk at home by grinding coconut shavings, and apply it onto the scalp. This promotes hair growth as well as improves the texture of the hair preventing dryness, and the resultant hair loss.
Though it cannot be cured completely, medicines, creams, and treatments like hair transplant are available, that can help to cope with baldness. With the advancement in science, new methods are being devised for the same.