Boswellia side effects Boswellia or Boswellia serrata is a tree that is mainly found in India, particularly in the states of Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh. It is a well-known name in the field of Ayurvedic medicine. It also finds usage in religious purposes. It produces a sap-like resin or gummy oleoresin, which is made up of essential oils and terpenoids. These components are responsible for its medicinal properties. However, just like all herbal medicines, we have both, Boswellia side effects as well as benefits.
The presence of terpenoids and essential oils enable this tree to be used as a medicine. It possesses an anti-inflammatory property, therefore, it gives excellent results in the treatment of inflammation. This makes it particularly ideal to be used as an alternative medicine for arthritis. It is also used for curing lung problems, breathing trouble, blood disorders, diarrhea, skin problems, fungal infection, etc. Thus, it is used in the treatment of a wide range of ailments.
This tree has numerous health benefits. It will give you the desired results only on taking it in required amounts and in a proper manner. Self-medication is never advisable. Therefore, if you are planning to get yourself some sort of treatment with it, you should consult a herbalist. Discuss your medical condition with him or her and the potential health risks.
- Boswellia can cause numerous adverse effects on your health if you are not an ideal candidate for its usage.
- First of all, it can produce birth defects and even spontaneous abortions in expectant women. This is the reason why it is never prescribed to pregnant women.
- It is also considered to be unsafe for breastfeeding mothers.
- It has been observed to interact with other drugs and reduce their effectiveness. An Ayurvedic doctor will never recommend it to you if you have allergies to any drug or any of its components, irrespective of the drugs being prescription, non-prescription, or dietary supplements.
- It is not safe for you to take Boswellia if you suffer from a stomach upset, gastritis etc. Otherwise, you may end up with an even worse stomach upset.
- This extract needs to be taken in the correct dosage and in a right manner. It has enough potential to produce various adverse effects on your health.
- Out of the innumerable side effects, the major ones are stomach pain, heartburn, skin rash, diarrhea, stomach discomfort, nausea, and a feeling of fullness in the stomach even on eating little to nothing.
- Boswellia-based skin creams have been reported to trigger allergic reactions in many people. Such topical creams tend to initiate allergic contact dermatitis in people allergic to it.
- The gummy substance of this tree contains an acid called boswellic acid. It also causes some negative effects. A major one includes the inhibition of leukotriene biosynthesis.
- It interacts with many medicines and decreases their effectiveness. Some of the medicines with which it is known to interact are supplements that may have anticancer properties, supplements used to treat joint diseases, antifungal agents, and cholesterol-lowering supplements among many others.
- The effects can be life-threatening in some cases. The signs and symptoms of such dangerous negative effects are pain in the chest, difficulty breathing, tightness in your throat and chest, skin hives, skin rash, swollen skin, itchy skin, etc. If you notice such symptoms in yourself, you should immediately pay a visit to a doctor.
By going through the given account, you must have learned how effective is Boswellia in treating various diseases. This is possible only when it is taken in an adequate dosage and only when required. In case it is not taken with caution and care, you may develop some of the side effects mentioned here in this article. Therefore, to remain on the safer side, always consume it under the supervision of a medical professional.
Disclaimer: This HolisticZine article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.