A headache is basically considered a symptom associated with numerous health conditions. Generally, it is associated with factors like stress, fatigue, tension, lack of adequate sleep, an exposure to allergens, and hormonal fluctuations.
It is very important to identify the exact causes or the triggering factors, in order to reduce the severity and frequency of headaches. Usually, the pain caused by this condition is felt either at the temples or the place, where the jaw muscles meet. Headaches can be of different types, of which the most common types are, sinus headaches, migraines, tension headaches, and cluster headaches.
How to Get Relief from the Pain
Whenever we get a headache, we instantly grab the over-the-counter pain medications. Though these medications can help relieve the pain temporarily, their overuse can result in several side effects. The medications that are generally used for this painful condition are acetaminophen, aspirin, and ibuprofen.
Even nasal sprays and decongestant can provide significant relief in sinus headaches, though their excessive use is usually not recommended. On the other hand, a migraine headache is generally managed with the help of a combination of triptan and anti-nausea medications. Those who cannot take triptan due to certain underlying conditions, are usually given the over-the-counter pain medications. For severe migraines, narcotics and medications containing butalbital may be prescribed by the physicians. But their overuse can lead to addiction and many other side effects.
Relying too much on the pain killers or analgesics for a long period of time is certainly not good for your health. So, may people turn to certain natural remedies that can help alleviate and manage the condition in the long run, without adversely affecting your health and wellbeing.
- One of the best natural remedy for this condition is rest, as most often headaches have been observed to be triggered by stress and anxiety. So, taking a nap for a few hours can help reduce stress and relieve the pain and discomfort.
- Along with rest or sleep, stress can also be managed with the help of certain relaxation techniques like meditation and yoga.
- If it is a sinus headache, you can apply a cold compress on your forehead. This remedy can work for migraine and tension headaches as well.
- Like a cold compress, the application of heat on the forehead and the temples can also help the migraine sufferers.
- Take a hot bath or shower in order to relax your mind and body, which will provide relief in migraine and sinus headaches.
- Another natural remedy is jalapeno pepper, which can help drain the sinuses to remove congestion.
- Pure lavender oil is one of the most effective natural remedies for a migraine headache. Just put one or two drops of lavender oil on the temples. You can also use peppermint or rosemary oil in the same way to get relief from the pain.
- Peppermint is highly valued for its decongestant properties. So, put one or two drops of peppermint oil in a bowl of boiling water, and inhale the steam. This can help relieve the pain associated with sinus and tension headaches.
- A cup of coffee or herbal tea, especially ginger and chamomile tea, can provide quick relief in any type of headaches. Coffee can be particularly effective for relieving the migraine pain, as it helps constrict the blood vessels in and around the brain.
Along with these natural remedies, follow a balanced diet, drink plenty of water, and exercise regularly to control and prevent the frequency of headaches. Migraine sufferers should include more magnesium-rich food like leafy green vegetables, nuts, and whole grains in their diet. This mineral can prove quite beneficial for reducing the severity and frequency of migraines. Even alternative treatment options like acupressure has been found to benefit a large number people.
The most common acupressure point for headaches is the web between the thumb and the index finger. If this point is pressed and massaged for a few minutes, it can provide significant relief. But if you are suffering from headaches for a prolonged period of time, it is better to visit your physician, as it is very important to identify the causes or the triggering factors, in order treat this condition effectively.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only, and should not be replaced for the advice of a medical professional.