Chiropractic is an alternative treatment that involves skillful manipulations and adjustments by a professional, in order to deal with disorders of the musculoskeletal and nervous systems of the body.
Chiropractic is a type of alternative medical system, which involves a non-chemical way of treating ailments related to the bones, joints, muscles, and tissues. In North America chiropractic is practiced on a huge scale, and is one of the most popular methods of treatment after allopathy. The name chiropractic has been derived from ‘chiro’ that comes from the Greek word kheir which means hand.
The philosophy behind this method of treatment is, that the body has an inbuilt ability to heal itself. It is based on the premise that the spine is the primary organ of focus, and is responsible for the normal functioning of all body parts. It is believed that whenever the spine faces a problem, the body goes through many other problems. Spine coordinates with the whole nervous system thus any disturbance to the spine actually upsets the mechanism of the entire body. Hence the treatment for any ailment, must start from the spine.
The primary technique involves spinal manipulation, in which the doctors try to restore the movement of the affected joints. Limitation in movement of joints can be caused due to external injury, bad posture, or a tissue injury due to sudden movement or mental trauma. Incorrect posture can cause stress and pain in the long run.
The body tries to cope up with it, which is the reason we do not feel pain in the earlier stages. But when the body’s healing mechanism fails, it starts giving us warning signals, and we experience pain. Spine manipulation results in the relaxation of the adjoining muscles and tissues, so that the pain lessens, and the tissues heal.
- Chiropractic very seldom causes any kind of pain or discomfort, and even if it occurs that is because of the extended hours of exercise that is part of the treatment.
- Chiropractic doesn’t involve any invasion of the body thus stimulates the healing powers of the body.
- It looks forward to long-term relief, and therefore many other problems that can be treated and can be restored through chiropractic.
- It helps to protect from further pains by rectifying the posture, and uprooting the underlying mental or physical causes.
- Chiropractors give you wholesome care, and make sure that the treatment of one ailment dose not lead to the other. They make the patients go through regular check ups and tests.
- The most important benefit is it saves you from all the possible side effects of allopathic medicines.
Disclaimer: This HolisticZine article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice.