Gas, also called flatulence is the air which is trapped inside the intestine, that is passed through the rectum. Many home remedies for gas relief can speed up the process of getting rid of gas out of the body. If you are eating a lot of fiber containing foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and other foods which contain a lot of indigestible fiber like beans, potatoes, and oats, then the body will make more gas. However, this doesn't mean that you stop eating these nutritious foodstuffs. A certain amount of flatulence is natural, however, if you are uncomfortable with the flatulence then use any of the mentioned remedies...
Many OTC anti-gas products are available in most drugstores. An ingredient called simethicone helps draw irritating gas bubbles from the folds of the stomach and intestines into larger bubbles which can be passed as flatulence. A tablespoon of Pepto-Bismol taken after a meal can help reduce the amount of intestinal gas. Activated charcoal is a detoxifier which contains an ingredient, which helps to prevent gas from forming. For some people it works when taken before meals, for some it works when taken after meals. However, make sure you don't use this product for more than two weeks.
Infant Gas Remedies
Make the baby burp often to relieve and prevent the gas. Check their diet, if your baby seems to be getting gas after a particular food, then avoid that food. Applying pressure slightly to the stomach area can help the baby pass the trapped gas. You can also work with the baby's legs, pumping the legs back and forth while the baby is lying on his back, this will help the baby experience less gas pains. You can also use OTC drops which contain simethicone. You can also consider an OTC colic reliever. Colic Calm Gripe Water is a natural remedy, which is used for infants.
Natural Gas Remedies
A drop of ginger extract with a drop of peppermint in a cup of water has been used as a flatulence treatment for ages. The ingredients in this extract help to relax the muscles of the esophagus, thus allowing the trapped gas to escape. You can find these extracts at a food store. Eating frequent small meals rather than large ones can also reduce the amount of bacteria in the stomach, thus creating less gas.
Tips to Prevent Flatulence
Given above were the various gas relief remedies. Follow these home care measures to prevent gas formation.
- Relax while you are chewing your food.
- Chew your food slowly and thoroughly.
- Take a walk for 10 - 15 minutes after your meal.
- Avoid eating chewing gum.
- Certain foods cause more flatulence than others. Avoid eating foods like cabbage and carbonated beverages.
- If you are lactose intolerant, then remove all the dairy foods from your diet for at least 2 weeks to maintain better digestive health.
- Avoid smoking and other tobacco products.
- Drink plenty of water. Drink around 2 - 3 liters of water on a daily basis.
- If you are looking for a source of protein, then use tofu (soy product) rather than using soybeans as tofu is easier to digest.
Disclaimer: This Buzzle article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.