Strep throat accounts for the most number of medical visits to a doctor in a year. It affects people of all ages. This article discusses some herbal remedies for strep throat.
A bacterial infection, strep throat is a contagious disease which is more severe than a throat infection caused by a virus. Children between 5 – 15, are the ones who are the most vulnerable to contract this infection. However, it is also known to affect people of all ages. It is characterized by symptoms such as sore and scratchy throat, difficulty swallowing, and pain in the throat. This infection isn’t harmful in itself, but it is considered severe due to the complications it gives rise to.
An untreated case of strep throat can easily lead to infection of the tonsils, sinuses, skin and middle ear. Blood infection could also be an outcome. Aside these, other serious conditions such as scarlet fever, rheumatic fever, and kidney inflammation could also be the result. In some cases, such complications occur even after the infection has been treated.
Strep Throat Herbal Treatment
- A popular herbal treatment for strep throat is the herb sage. Pour a cup of water on a handful of sage leaves, and bring the water to a boil. Let it come down to the room temperature, and add lemon juice and salt to taste. Drink this tea whenever required. This herb is antimicrobial in nature thus, helps in treating such an infection.
- Echinacea is an effective, natural remedy for strep throat. Pour a cup of boiling water over a handful of dried echinacea flowers. Let the mixture steep for 15 – 20 minutes. You can also add grated ginger to the flowers. After they have steeped, add a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice, stir well and drink. Honey can be added to enhance the flavor. Echinacea treats strep throat by boosting the immune system. It helps the body to increase its immunity against infectious microbes like those which cause strep throat.
- Then comes a herb known as goldenseal. This herb gets its power to acts as an antibiotic from its constituent known as berberine. And not only does it help the body to ward off bacteria, but it also acts on intestinal parasites, fungus, and even a wide range of flu viruses. As mentioned in the above methods, pour a cup of boiling water on dried goldenseal root, and let it steep for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Garlic is well-known for its antibacterial properties, and that is why its use is a popular treatment of strep throat. This bulbous herb has what is known as allicin as one of its active constituents. And this very substance can be compared to a weak penicillin. So, if you have a mild strep throat, all you may need to do is to chew some raw cloves of garlic or take it with your meals.
- A herb called angelica is beneficial in relieving the symptoms of strep throat. Chewing the stems of the herb in the morning helps in soothing the throat, and when chewed before bed time, it aids in sleeping.
All these natural treatment methods for strep throat are effective enough to cure the infection if it is a mild one. However, if your infection is a severe one, then they might not be good enough, and you may have to take antibiotics. So if you are experiencing strep throat symptoms, then try some of these remedies at home. If your symptoms subside, it means that they are working, otherwise, do not delay to get a doctor’s appointment.