There are many beneficial bacteria present in our body, playing different roles. However, certain bacteria can be harmful to our bodies and when they attack on the digestive system various infections can occur.
Stomach infections and intestinal infections are common. Apart from bacteria causing intestinal infection, the intestinal infections can also be caused due to virus, fungus, yeast, mold, intestinal parasites or due to poor hygiene. Some of the intestinal infection symptoms include abdominal pain, abdominal cramps, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, loss of appetite, irritable bowel syndrome, impaired immune system, skin rashes, headaches and depression. If intestinal infection is not cured in time, it can cause some other serious health problems.
Tips on Curing Intestinal Infection?
- The first thing you need to do to is stop eating outside food. Avoid eating outside food and drink only bottled water or filtered water. Outside food can make the condition worse.
- Avoid fattening foods, avoid junk food and avoid smoking and alcohol too. Also, avoid spicy food and stick more to alkaline foods.
- Practice good hygiene and eat clean food. Wash and thoroughly cook vegetables and meat before you eat it.
- Instead of eating fattening foods, include fats which are good for health like Mediterranean style fats. These include nuts, olive oil, olives and fish. Make sure whichever seafood you eat is fresh and cooked thoroughly to prevent any further bacterial infections.
- Intestinal bacterial infection can be sometimes a sign pointing to stomach ulcers. Hence to prevent and cure both, eat a lot of yogurt. Always go for non-flavored non-sweetened fresh yogurt. Have 2-3 cups of yogurt everyday. It is a probiotic, which helps to calm the stomach and has beneficial bacteria which is good for overall gastrointestinal health.
- Eat raw garlic if you can tolerate it. Eat 3-4 cloves everyday. Garlic is antibiotic and can protect you from a host of infections like common cold and also help to cure gastrointestinal infections.
- Drink few cups of ginger tea everyday. Ginger has been used for years to treat and calm down stomach and intestinal infections. It is an excellent antibiotic that can help cure intestinal infection.
- Keep eating bananas whenever you need a snack. Eat 3-4 bananas everyday. It is very good in treating intestinal infection as it helps to neutralize the stomach acids.
- Consider going on a liquid diet for a day or two. If you are going on a liquid diet then have ginger tea, barley, buttermilk, fresh lime juice, banana juice. Make the juices or tea without sugar or very less sugar. If you are on a liquid diet then it is important that you keep hydrating yourself by drinking plenty of water. Drink around 2-3 liters of clean boiled water everyday.
- If you don't get relief from the intestinal infection within few days implementing home remedies, then you will need to contact a doctor. The doctor will do a physical examination and might ask you go through some tests too. This will help the doctor diagnose what kind of infection you have.
- You will need to take antibiotics which will kill the infection causing germs present in your intestines. The medication should always be taken in moderation as it can inhibit the absorption of essential nutrient which the body requires.
If you are experiencing too much of intestinal pain then consider taking some chamomile tea. It helps to soothe and calm down the stomach and intestines and helps prevent bloating, cramping and pain. If you don't get relief from the intestinal infection with home remedies after few days, then seek medical help.