Constipation in simplest terms can be defined as inability or difficulty in passing stools due to its hardening or clogging together. It is one of the most common condition experienced by thousands of people in the world. Peculiarly, it is found to be more common in case of children and women than men. In some people, constipation is seen only at some time due to specific reasons, while others experience regular bouts of constipation which can be really bothersome. Let us have a look at the causes and symptoms of constipation.
Causes and Symptoms of Constipation
Constipation is treated as a symptom as well as a medical condition. It is a symptom of diseases like diverticulitis and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), while on the other hand, it can be caused due to a variety of reasons. Wrong eating habits is considered as the most prominent cause of constipation. Having a diet lacking in fibers but, excess of dairy and wheat products results in constipation.
On the other hand, stress, tension, irregular sleeping patterns, etc. are the other factors contributing in causing constipation in people. When a person suffers from constipation, he also experiences other symptoms like loss of appetite, bloating, headache, fatigue, depression and a general feeling of sickness and discomfort. Although it is not a serious condition, one needs to get it treated before it leads to any other complications like hemorrhoids or bleeding stools.
Medication for Constipation
Occasional constipation is not a severe condition and can be gotten rid of by several means. Laxatives are the best medications to treat constipation quickly. Milder laxatives can be gotten over-the-counter and can be taken orally.
On the other hand, stool softeners are other medications used in case of severe or chronic constipation. Stool softeners, as the name suggests, help in making the stools soft and easier to pass out from the body. However, it is recommended that stool softeners and laxatives should not be taken regularly or for a longer duration as they can result in permanent damage of the intestines or the bowel. In order to avoid this, you can go for certain natural methods that are effective and have no side effects.
Remedies to Treat Constipation Naturally
There are several products and foods that help in natural constipation relief. The following are some home remedies to get rid of constipation fast.
- Drinking water helps in faster and easier movement of the stools, therefore, you should have a glass of warm water early in the morning in order to cure constipation. You can even mix 1 teaspoon honey and lemon to it.
- Triphala is an Ayurvedic medicine and a herb that acts as a laxative and a cure for constipation. It helps in strengthening the colon.
- Psyllium husk (sat isabgol) is another herbal laxative used to get rid of constipation effectively. You can add 2-3 teaspoons of it in warm milk or water and have it at night for quick results.
- Fibers are very important for proper function of the digestive system and hence, you need to include them regularly in your diet. Fibrous foods include all fruits and vegetables, specially green vegetables.
- Grapes also help in colon cleanse and can be eaten without any side effects. You can have 300-350 gms of grapes a day (excess is not recommended).
These were some of the natural methods that are helpful in order to treat constipation. However, one should also remember that a good diet, regular exercise and bowel habits are equally important to treat and prevent constipation.