There are times when after eating certain types of food, you may feel uncomfortable and/or your stomach may seem slightly upset. In such cases, you may feel like purging instead of going through the uncomfortable and/or painful situation.
Of course, there are issues where some people induce vomiting as a weight loss alternative. That is a wrong thing to do because frequently doing so will rob your body from essential nutrients to keep itself healthy and functional. On the other hand, as we mentioned above, if you feel that you've eaten something unhealthy or that can potentially be dangerous to your health, you can try to purge in a safe manner.
Suggestions to Follow
Before you try any of the following methods, contact your doctor and/or a family member to give you some advice. However, if you are in a situation where contacting someone knowledgeable is not possible, you may try any of these techniques. But first, take these points into account.
- Pick a place to throw up; either in the bathroom over the toilet or inside a heavy-duty plastic bag.
- Sit in such a way that you are comfortable and don't put a lot of stress on your abdominal muscles.
- Breathe normally and avoid overexerting yourself. If you can't purge easily, do not force your body and yourself.
- Keep water nearby so that you can gargle and clean your mouth as and when needed.
Ways to Make Yourself Purge
It is essential to point out at this time that if you have swallowed something solid, other than a food item, we urge you to call 911 immediately. Making yourself vomit, in such a scenario, is harmful because the item or object might get stuck in your throat. So, follow these tips only if you wish to purge potential harmful food.
- You can use your fingers to make yourself throw up. As your fingers will stimulate the gag reflex, it is one of the fastest and most common methods to try.
- Try taking medication, such as Ipecac Syrup and Bloodroot. You have to mix the medication with water and drink it in order to induce vomiting.
- Another safe and effective method is drinking salt water. In an 8-ounce glass of water, mix 4 to 5 tablespoons of salt and drink it immediately. You can even give aerated beverages a try.
- Sensory stimulation is another method that can be tried. Chances are if you watch someone else throwing up, it will make you nauseous, and eventually, throw up.
- Similar to the fingers technique, you can using a toothbrush as well. Push the toothbrush as far inside your tongue as you can to stimulate the gag reflex.
If you have ever purged before, you will know how taxing the entire process is. You will feel weak and tired from inside, and wish to lie down in bed for hours. But before you do that, it is important that you rehydrate your body. Drink lots of water, fresh juices (not acidic juices like orange juice), clear broths, ginger ale, and soft drinks as often as you can; avoid drinking alcohol or caffeine. Once 12 hours have passed, you should begin eating solid foods like white rice, crackers, bananas, etc.; but avoid spicy, friend, and junk foods along with raw vegetables and fruits.
It goes without saying that meeting your doctor is a must. Regardless of how you feel after vomiting, do make it a point to consult with your health care provider so that proper diagnosis and precautions can be taken.
Disclaimer: This HolisticZine article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.