If you sweat excessively at night, the following remedies will help you get rid of it. Follow these techniques to have a peaceful sleep at night.
Although sweating is a common phenomenon, excessive sweating or perspiration is not common. Excessive perspiration (without any visible reason) can be a sign of some underlying health condition. Do you have sleepless nights due to constant perspiration? Do you wake up in the middle of night to find your clothes and sheets drenched in sweat? Well, you may be suffering from night sweats. Among other reasons, night sweat, also known as nocturnal hyperhidrosis, is the most common symptom of menopause (in women) and andropause (in men).
It is essential to know the exact cause of night sweats before looking for treatment methods. Certain illnesses, hypoglycemia, effect of certain medications and drugs, etc., are some possible causes. Stress is another prominent cause.
- Firstly, the temperature and atmosphere in the bedroom should be made as comfortable as possible. Do not heat the room too much as it can lead to excessive perspiration. The bedroom should be cooler, and there should be healthy air circulation inside the room.
- Get rid of mattresses and sheets that make you sweat. Switch to lighter blankets.
- Wear comfortable light cotton clothes while sleeping. Avoid wearing polyester and other synthetic clothing, especially at night.
- You should avoid eating hot, caffeine containing, spicy and acidic foods, red meat, etc., as these foods tend to cause night sweats and hot flashes. Having a diet rich in vitamins and calcium helps in getting rid of this condition.
- You should reduce or quit smoking and drinking alcohol completely.
- As mentioned above, stress is one of the major factors causing night sweats. Therefore, reduce stress using relaxation and meditation techniques. Deep breathing, exercising, and getting rid of negative thoughts before sleeping, also helps in lowering stress.
- You can also have a cool water bath before going to bed every day to reduce perspiration.
- Herbal teas like sage and chamomile are helpful.
- Night sweats caused due to hormonal imbalance can be treated with the help of medications and supplements. You need to consult your doctor for the same.
Lastly, remember that night sweats occurring as a symptom of diseases and disorders should be treated by proper treatment methods after consulting a doctor. Take care!
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not, in any way, intend to replace the advice of a medical professional.