The term 'skin lesions' covers any abnormality occurring on the skin, ranging from a small sore to a large wound. There can be several factors leading to their formation. These can be benign or very serious.
Abnormal changes on the skin may result from a wide range of skin disorders. These include:
- Physical injury
- Allergy against food/substances; common allergens are: milk, egg, pollen grains, grass, etc.
- Innumerable skin diseases like: dermatitis (both atopic and contact), eczema, psoriasis, measles, rubella, chickenpox, seborrheic keratosis, furunculosis, tinea versicolor, etc.
Personal hygiene should be given utmost importance, in order to get rid of lesions. Always try to keep the skin clean and dry, as moist and dirty skin provides shelter to pathogens. Also, try some home remedies on the affected skin. Some of the natural treatments known to deliver positive results are mentioned below.
- Eat five servings of citrus fruits and vegetables like carrots, tomato, and broccoli, in a day. This will provide antioxidants, vitamins (A, C and E), beta-carotene, and selenium. All these nutrients prevent further worsening of the affected skin, including the ones caused by skin cancer.
- Increase the intake of foods that are rich in omega-3 essential fatty acids and poor in omega-6 essential acids, as they treat, as well as foreclose lesions. Some examples of such food are fish oil, safflower oil, olive oil, and butter. A good way of consuming these oils would be to have fish cooked in olive oil twice a week.
- Refrain from the consumption of foods that promote such abnormal skin changes, as they tend to add toxins to your body. For example: processed foods, red meat, red and yellow dyes, cured meats (as they contain nitrites), monosodium glutamate, sugar, saccharin, dairy products, caffeinated drinks, alcohol, hydrogenated vegetable oils, and aspartame.
- Detoxification will speed up the natural process of healing of the affected skin. Therefore, one should aim at flushing out toxins from the body. Drinking plenty of water, about 8 - 10 glasses of water a day, will enhance the detoxification process
Disclaimer: This HolisticZine article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.