In your day-to-day life, your body is subject to a large amount of toxic substances from the surrounding environment. These toxins make their way into your system and are eventually stored in your liver. When your liver is overloaded with these toxins, it causes trouble in eliminating the toxic waste from your body. This further causes harm to other vital organs. Hence, it is vital to understand the importance of detoxifying your liver and consuming necessary and proper nutrients which will help eliminate the toxins from your body.
When you want to carry out a liver cleanse, you will have to switch over to a healthy diet which includes the elimination of processed foods, caffeine, alcohol, artificial additives, and foods that contain artificial additives, etc. You may also want to reduce the intake of red meat. Some of the liver detoxifying foods include fresh fruits, vegetables, fish, and whole grains. Along with these foods, there are also some herbs that may be used to flush your liver of all the impurities.
Herbs for Liver Detox
You may use different herbs to make various recipe for flushing the liver. Research has shown, that these herbs are a healthy way to build the liver tissues and improve the bile flow. They are:
- Turmeric: Turmeric is one of the most widely used herbs in Indian cooking as well as in Ayurveda. It is rich in curcumin which helps in production of bile and also elimination of gallstones. It is also known to lower the cholesterol levels.
- Milk Thistle: Milk thistle aids the stimulation of liver functions and also eliminates the toxins that have accumulated in the it.
- Dandelion: Dandelion is a popular medicinal plant which aids in efficient elimination of toxic wastes excreted by the liver. Like turmeric, it also helps in improving bile production. Dandelion root is also known to reduce the inflammation of the liver and gallbladder. It is also rich in iron, silicon, magnesium, zinc, and potassium.
- Yellow Dock: Often, if the liver is saturated with toxins, you will realize you feel sluggish. Taking yellow dock at such times will stimulate your appetite and digestion. Antifungal and anti-bacterial properties of yellow dock are helpful for the liver. It also promotes the bile flow.
- Rosemary: The rosemary herb increases the enzymes to fight the cancer cells. At the same time, it is also known to stop carcinogenic chemicals from penetrating into the cells of the liver.
- Artichoke Extract: This herb has been well-known for centuries for its digestive properties. It increases the bile flow and helps in reducing LDL cholesterol from the oxidation process.
- Tincture: This is an important herb since it eliminates toxic substances from the liver, and also regulates the production of cholesterol in the body.
- Neem: Neem is one of the most powerful blood purifiers and detoxifiers which is abundantly found in India. The astringent present in neem promotes healing of the liver.
- Chanca Piedra: Chanca Piedra is also known as quebra pedra. It grows widely in the Amazon rain forest. It is beneficial to cleanse the liver, gallbladder, and kidneys.
- Kudzu Root: If you have abused your body with alcohol, then you must include kudzu root in the liver detoxifying diet. It will help in healing the liver. You may also use it to make tea.
These herbs are available in the market in the form of tablets, powders, and liquids. However, may can also use the fresh herbs. They may also be used to make tea and beverages. However, it is not recommended to take the herbs alone. Before you start using them, it is recommended that you talk to your physician to avoid any complications.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not in any way attempt to replace the advice offered by an expert on the subject.