Shingles is a condition that is caused by the varicella zoster virus, also known as the herpes-zoster virus. This virus is also responsible for causing chickenpox. If you have suffered from chickenpox at a young age, it is possible that the virus has become dormant in the body. Yes, the virus is never eliminated, it remains in the body in a passive state.
At a later stage in life, it is possible that this virus becomes active again, and causes shingles, signified by the breakout of a rash all over the body. Other symptoms of this condition include, dizziness, headache, and nausea. You are more likely to suffer from this condition, if you have a weak immune system, and if you are within the age group 50-80. However, this can occur in younger adults too. Here, we discuss the treatment for shingles in adults, and provide some natural remedies to treat the condition.
Natural treatment for shingles has always been popular, and till date, it serves as an effective way of treating the itchy, burning, and painful outbreak of rashes on your skin. The sooner it is treated, the better, as it is a contagious condition that can cause chickenpox in those, who have never suffered from it. Moreover, if the blisters you have on your skin are fresh and have any kind of fluid in them, that is the only way they can spread and manifest into shingles in someone else. If you do not wish to resort to an over-the-counter treatment method, take a look at these natural remedies, as well as some herbal ways to treat this condition.
- Begin by strengthening your immune system, and consuming foods rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C is known to boost the immune system, and therefore, make it capable of tackling this virus, that is causing painful symptoms. You may also take vitamin C supplements for this purpose, but only after consulting a doctor. Other nutrients you should consume include, vitamin A, calcium, magnesium, zinc, and selenium, vitamins E and B12.
- To clear out the virus, drink a concoction of sea salt and water, or just consume fresh, raw garlic with your meals, as it has antiseptic properties, and will cure shingles naturally.
- Apply raw honey on the affected area, to get instant relief from the itching and burning. Cover up the area with a gauze strip after that. Honey has the ability to prevent the chances of a bacterial infection from the rash. As you apply it on a regular basis, you will notice a great difference in the way you feel.
- Dip a washcloth in a mixture of ½ cup apple cider vinegar and 2 cups of water. After wringing out the excess solution, place it on the affected area for about an hour. Continue this process regularly till you notice that the rash has gone completely.
- Cayenne pepper has a component called capsaicin that is known to soothe the rashes and itch that is caused by shingles. Mix a small amount with an unscented but soothing body lotion, and apply it on the affected area. It will even relieve all the associated pain.
- Apply myrrh tincture on the affected area, at least 2-3 times a day. You may even consume 1 dropper about 3-4 times a day. This will heal your skin over time, and serve as an effective pain relief method.
- Apply a liberal amount of virgin coconut oil on the area, and cover it up with a bandage. With its anti-inflammatory properties it serves a great natural treatment for shingles.
- When you notice the development of rash, begin consuming a lemon balm supplement, as it has the ability to cure viral infections that are caused by shingles.
- Applying peppermint oil or geranium oil has also proven useful for those with a severe rash.
A lot of people may be looking for treatment for shingles occurring in the eye. For this, it is best to consult a doctor rather than attempting to treat it yourself, as eyes are one of the most sensitive organs of the body. Several sufferers of shingles have known to benefit from a variety of these natural methods. You may also try out these remedies, to see the benefits for yourself. Do remember that, if you are consuming any herbs or vitamins, do consult a herbalist or a doctor respectively, to ensure that it does not interfere with any other medication you may have been prescribed for other ailments, as it may react differently and worsen the condition.
Disclaimer: This HolisticZine article is for informative purposes only and does not, in any way, intend to replace the advice of a medical expert.