Constipation is a digestive problem that affects people of all age groups. The following article provides information on the food items that should be consumed or avoided by affected individuals.
Constipation, which is one of the most common digestive disorders, is characterized by infrequent and difficult evacuation of bowels. According to experts, passing less than three stools in a span of a week is a characteristic sign of this condition. Also, the affected individuals have to strain during bowel movement. It is the hardening of the fecal matter that causes a great deal of discomfort. Bringing about some healthy changes in the diet and lifestyle, not only relieves this condition, but goes a long way to avoid it as well.
What to Do When You Are Constipated
Drug therapy might be required in severe or chronic cases. However, following certain tried-and-tested home remedies might prove beneficial. Here are a few remedies that you can follow:
- Soak some figs in water before bedtime, and take them in the morning.
- Soak some raisins in water overnight, and have them in the morning.
- Drinking orange juice multiple times a day helps in relieving the symptoms.
- Affected individuals can also take natural laxatives such as psyllium husk or flaxseed.
- Yogurt contains beneficial bacteria, and including it in the diet can help maintain the balance of microbial flora in the gut.
- Add lemon juice (2 tbsp.) and honey (1 tsp.) to a glass of water. This is recommended to be taken once in the morning and once before going to bed.
- Given below are some fruits that help relieve constipation:
- One essential step which needs to be followed is to drink plenty of fluids, including water. Doing this helps in softening the stools, and improving bowel movements.
- Munch on a guava every morning on an empty stomach.
- Include high fiber foods in the diet, such as beans, whole grains, fresh fruits, and vegetables. It is a healthier option to limit the intake of cheese products, meat, and processed food.
People who are affected by chronic form of this condition need to avoid food such as:
- Baking soda
- Ice cream
- Soft drinks
- White flour
- White rice
- White sugar
- Whole milk
- Yeast bread
Follow a high-fiber diet and exercise regularly. Also, visit the washroom whenever you have the urge.