When Spanish people encroached upon Peru, maca roots were hidden away and they moved to the brink of extinction after few centuries. Later during the mid 1980s, the Board of Genetic Plant Resources announced this herbaceous plant in the list of endangered species. Steps were taken and cultivation of maca was enhanced.
Today, this root vegetable is consumed thrice a day by Peruvians and other people all over the world. It is cultivated without any harmful chemicals in the highlands of Peru. The farmers in the Peru valley retain spiritual bonding to the land and work hand in hand with the spirit to ensure purity and to maintain the old sustainable traditional practice of cultivation. With this brief intro, let's leaf through the following segments to get an in depth overview on maca root extract.
Maca is an annual plant, which is used as a 'medicinal herb' and 'root vegetable'. The plant is native to Bolivia and Andes mountains in Peru. Its bionomical name is Lepidium meyenii. This plant is a member of radish family and is rich in potassium and calcium even more than what milk contains. It is one of the best medicines that is bestowed to us by Nature and its medicinal properties are ample in number, thus it is called the 'Superfood of Andes'.
The components of its root are vitamin B1, B2 and C, alkaloids, micro and macro nutrients, carbohydrates, fiber, proteins, fatty acids, sodium, potassium, calcium, tannins, bismuth, copper, zinc, fructose, iron, manganese, phosphorus, silicon, starch and magnesium. It has 4 unique alkaloids (macaina 1, 2, 3, 4) that are found nowhere in any other plant. Let's take a look at the health benefits of this root extract.
- It enhances energy and restores stamina and vitality. It is commonly consumed by athletes to boost up their energy level.
- It helps to recover from depression, traumas and addictions.
- It increases concentration and promotes mental fitness.
- It acts as a hormone balancer.
- It enhances sexual feelings in both men and women.
- It is a powerful antioxidant.
- It is a natural adaptogen and increases non-specific resistance in our body.
- It supports the functioning of adrenal glands.
- It increases the competence of our immune system.
- It contains isothiocyanate compounds, which can combat cancers.
- The extract eases up menstrual pain and maintains proper menstrual cycle.
- When consumed with a balanced diet, it ensures proper functioning of our glandular system.
- Tannin found in maca, helps in the treatment of diarrhea, while silicon cures broken tissues in our body.
- It stimulates Graafian follicles and thereby, increases fertility in women.
Maca Root Extract
Maca powder is a 4:1 extract, which means one gram of the extract is produced from 4 grams of the root. It is bitter in taste and hence, can be consumed with good tasty flavored drinks to suppress the bitterness. It also comes in capsules and liquid forms. The capsules are more cost-effective as compared to liquid ones. The calorific value per teaspoon of this powder is approximately 10.83. This powder is available in red, white and yellow color. Most of the powders are in white and yellow color because only the skin of the root is in red color while the inside part is white or yellow. It can usually be used up to 2 years from the time of manufacture if stored in the refrigerator and sealed properly. On a daily basis, 2 to 3 spoons can be consumed.
Maca Magic HRT
Maca Magic HRT (hormone replacement therapy) deals with menopause problems and hormone imbalances. There are no such big evidences of any contraindications that indicate danger in consumption of this powder in conjunction with HRT. Some studies indicate that the extract can increase hair growth and also nail growth. However, it is not advised by some experts in the field, to consume it during pregnancy.
Maca HRT products are designed to treat mood swings, hot flashes (symptom of change in hormone levels), night sweats (if hormonal changes happen at night). These products can also enhance mental focus. It is commonly believed that the extract acts on hormones. But the fact is that, it does not act on estrogen and testosterone in females and males respectively, instead, it acts on the hypothalamus pituitary axis of the endocrine system.
This extract is definitely nature's gift. But it is unlikely that it can make a change in each and everybody's life. So, it is genuinely advisable to consult your medical practitioner before consuming it.